Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about chips.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 04:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Questions about chips.....

few questions, reason I ask was when I bought the car i was told it might have been chipped,,, it does have a K&N and a STB installed so it has had some attention at one time.
1-Where is the stock chip located on a 96 lt1 trans am with an auto.

2-How can I tell if its a stock one or not,,or if its been re-programed or modded?

3-What is the speed limiter set at from the factory on these lt1 cars?

4-Is it safe so say if the car doesn't limit the speed it has a perf. chip?
Old 12-10-2009, 10:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

anyone???
Old 12-11-2009, 11:00 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is your ECM/PCM OBDI or OBDII? Also, I would think that you should post this on another message board, this is an LS1, LSx board. I have a 3rd generation Camaro, and its OBDI with an actual "chip" in the ECM. We call it the EPROM chip. That computer is located inside the crew cabin up under the passengers knee area. On my 4th gen '99 Camaro, the PCM is located inside the engine bay above & behind the right frong wheel well. On the LS1 4th gen cars, we do not have "chips", we flash new programs directly onto the PCM. Hope this helps.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:59 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jcurrieta
few questions, reason I ask was when I bought the car i was told it might have been chipped,,, it does have a K&N and a STB installed so it has had some attention at one time.
1-Where is the stock chip located on a 96 lt1 trans am with an auto.

2-How can I tell if its a stock one or not,,or if its been re-programed or modded?

3-What is the speed limiter set at from the factory on these lt1 cars?

4-Is it safe so say if the car doesn't limit the speed it has a perf. chip?
1)OBD II LT1's were flashed, meaning that a new program was loaded into the memory of the computer, replacing the factory program.

2)Hard to tell, other than to have somebody download the programming and compare it to a stock file.

3) Factory Speed Limitor is 160mph for manuals and cars with the performance axel ratio (3.23:1 Auto's). I want to say it's 127mph if it had a 2.72 gear, I could be wrong.

4) Depends on how fast you've gone
Old 12-11-2009, 08:01 PM
TECH Junkie

1) The PCM is located on the passenger's side, on the firewall, in the engine compartment. You can pull it and check the part number on label to see if it is OBDI or OBDII. Only 93 PCMs had a chip, the rest were flash programmed.
2) You can't without connecting to it.
3) If it came with the performance package and Z-rated tires, the limiter was somewhere around 145. If not, it was around 110. The performance package had a 3.23 gear, the rest came with a 2.73. You can check the code on the driver's door. (I don't remember the code, the Gears and Axle section would be the place to ask.)
4) Not really, unless you've done 160+.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

oh my bad sorry didnt knowtice i was in the lsx section,,, i ment the lt1 section..
ive had the car up to 220kmph not sure exactly what that is in mph as for codes i can get to the car its stored for the winter,,,, but still thanks for the info it helped alot, i would assume all 96 cars were obd2 tho.