Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP Diablosport vs mail tune

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 01:19 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question SLP Diablosport vs mail tune

okay guys i have a 99 ss camaro with FTRA, K&N, SLP lid, SLP bellow, TB bypass, Smokin87ta P&P(epoxy, knife edged) TB, TB spacer (nice whistle lol), LS6 Inakte manifold (no egr/air), SLP underdrive pulley, JET Hot coated Pacesetter headers, Pacesetter ORY, SLP LM1 catback, rebuilt 4L60E w/transgo shift kit. I just purchased the SLP Diablosport programmer for the car and came across mail in tune info. Did i make a mistake buying the SLP programmer? I dont plan on installing cam, heads, internals etc. because of the milage on the car 91,xxx.

Questions:
--What are the difference in gains (HP/TQ & MPG)?

--Will the SLP Diablosport programmer adjust the A/F ratios for the car correctly because of the headers?

--Will i start to get knocks from the motor if i use 93 octane (shell v-power)?

--Is it safe to use the performance tune considering i have a shift kit?
(SLP said that they dont mess with transmission settings and that they used the diablosport transmission changes)

***i know dyno tunes are best but if i come across a nice diesel truck, i'd sell the car. Plus i can at least take the tune off and sell it to someone (you dont get what you put into these cars)***
Old 12-16-2009, 07:46 AM
12 Second Club

I have simular mods and a transgo shift kit. I don't have a pulley though.
I would say predator or mail order the tune will be simular, the way to get a dialed in tune is someone who has time to spend with the car. I had custom tunes sent to me to put on the predator and kept getting knock. But I did have them adjust a few things like fuel trim and I went to a dyno to adjust my A/F to get it perfect.

I have had no issues with knocks.

I adjusted my trans setting with no issues, had too reduce the shift points a little to not hit the rev limiter.

I like the predator, works good to reset codes, can look at readout realtime to see whats up and easy to use. My gains were pretty good, but I would say adding a wideband 02 to the car and running it on a dyno to get the a/f right is a good idea also.

Last edited by rotwiler; 12-16-2009 at 07:52 AM.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Mail Order all the way
Old 12-16-2009, 01:44 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1ne
okay guys i have a 99 ss camaro with FTRA, K&N, SLP lid, SLP bellow, TB bypass, Smokin87ta P&P(epoxy, knife edged) TB, TB spacer (nice whistle lol), LS6 Inakte manifold (no egr/air), SLP underdrive pulley, JET Hot coated Pacesetter headers, Pacesetter ORY, SLP LM1 catback, rebuilt 4L60E w/transgo shift kit. I just purchased the SLP Diablosport programmer for the car and came across mail in tune info. Did i make a mistake buying the SLP programmer? I dont plan on installing cam, heads, internals etc. because of the milage on the car 91,xxx.

Questions:
--What are the difference in gains (HP/TQ & MPG)?

--Will the SLP Diablosport programmer adjust the A/F ratios for the car correctly because of the headers?

--Will i start to get knocks from the motor if i use 93 octane (shell v-power)?

--Is it safe to use the performance tune considering i have a shift kit?
(SLP said that they dont mess with transmission settings and that they used the diablosport transmission changes)

***i know dyno tunes are best but if i come across a nice diesel truck, i'd sell the car. Plus i can at least take the tune off and sell it to someone (you dont get what you put into these cars)***
the SLP-versioned Predator will work nicely with your mods... their custom tunes that are pre-loaded in it are made for headers and other bolt-ons like what you have listed... so the fueling is already tweaked, the O2 & Cat codes are all disabled already, and your AFR will be fine/safe.

you can always do some data logging and fine-tune the fueling adjustments yourself by modifying the tune... here's info on how: http://diablosport.com/index.php?nam...iewtopic&t=917

getting the fueling dialed in/fine tunes, will yield you even more throttle response, quicker accleration, stronger/harder pull, AND better mileage to boot!

I wouldn't use Shell gas... have seen it cause a lot of KR issues in all vehicles that used it that I've seen - including my own... once people switched brands, the KR cured itself... use mobil, exxon, sunoco, amoco or bp if you can... 93 octane...

it will be safe to use with your shift kit, no worries...

you're lookin at about 20hp/tq increase with the preset canned tunes that it comes with... and if ya want even more out of it than the preset tunes provide, you can get custom tunes via email from Diablosport CMR custom tuners (like me)... just provide data logs that are requested, and copies of the current tune files from your car, and they can create a custom tune tweaked/tailored specifically for your car.

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com

Last edited by 06MonteSS; 12-28-2009 at 10:50 AM.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:06 PM
On The Tree

wow...thanks guys. all input is appreciated!!! makes me feel better knowing that i didnt make a mistake buying this programer. i've used the u7198 by diablosport and felt a big difference up top!!! i can only imagine what this one will do for me.

Quick Reply: SLP Diablosport vs mail tune