PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Banish's GM EFI Tuning Beginners Guide or the beginner course at the Tuning School?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 11:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Banish's GM EFI Tuning Beginners Guide or the beginner course at the Tuning School?

Just read through the GM Master Tuner EFI book by Dan Maslic and I am now addicted to learning how to tune; that book is AWESOME for beginners. I'm tempted to supplement my knowledge with Banish's GM EFI Tuning Beginners Guide DVD, OR the take-home beginner course at the Tuning School.

I was wondering if anyone has seen both and can suggest which one I should get FIRST. (Don't want to get both at the same time for budget reasons.)

I've seen some of the sample pages from the Tuning School book and they look great and in-depth, but it might be nice to kick back and watch something onscreen. Help me decide!!

Thanks guys,
Zig
Old 12-29-2009, 07:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

when I first bought my HP Tuners, I bought the advanced tuning book by Banish. Its very in depth, but it didnt tell me how to use my HP Tuners. For about three years, I "tested" and "tuned" my car, but not learning a whole lot through forums.

Last year I went to "The Tuning School" here in Tampa/Odessa, and it was a great experience. I learned sooooooooooooooo much more in class actually dyno tuning cars for two days.

Your in a class with guys from tuning shop owners to hobbist like me, but the tuning school lay out a step by step learning process which was great for me.

Last month, I attended their advanced school to learn how to tune Forced Induction, NO2 vehicle and better understanding of 6 speed autos. Although I dont see myself tuning those high powered vehicles, again the atmosphere of the class, and the information you pick up from dyno tuning and other guys in the class that own tuning shops, I loved it.

The more you learn the more addicting and fun it is.

so side by side, I cant speak to what I would have learned from just readining both books, but attending both the basic and advanced tuning schools my tuning has improved by 100 fold. Now I just need more cars to work on so I dont lose the skill. Its like anything else, you should stay active with the hobby
Old 12-29-2009, 08:23 AM
TECH Resident

awesome info, thanks man! i have the Engine Management: Advanced Tuning book by Banish and right away there seemed to be a ton of math with injector pulse widths. Honestly it kind of intimidated me. What was helpful in that book though was the basics in afr as it applied to wot and cruise.

I'm not sure if the Tuning School has classes in Houston though; I think they did in Dallas at once point but they do offer a learn at home deal, which I think includes a 200+ page book and some videos...
Old 12-29-2009, 09:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

The banish book that I read was that same one you read for overall tuning. a good motor book, but didnt make sense to me for my beginner needs

The tuning school has overall tuning concepts, but teaches you to use HP tuners to tune your car with a step by step process. It should be the instructional manual that comes with HP tuners.

Now if I used EFI for my tuning program, then I may think differant.

If you tune with HPTuners, for me, the tuning school is the way to go
Old 01-02-2010, 04:20 PM
Staging Lane

I have the bannish dvd, it basicly teaches u how to calibrate maf readings and the ve table and u get some common injector values to plug in to ur tune. Also helps u understand a little about hptuners. Good info it seams from what I have read that the tuning school is more indepth. Twice the cash butt if it dose more than teach maf and ve its worth it I am thinking about getting the tuning school package. i would love to take the handson course but I live in WI tough to get to florida for a class.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:05 AM
Launching!

I'd like to attend the two day program. But florida is a ways away.

Quick Reply: Banish's GM EFI Tuning Beginners Guide or the beginner course at the Tuning School?