PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it ok to eliminate Burst Knock Retard?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 02:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is it ok to eliminate Burst Knock Retard?

When scanning I would blip the throttle and I'd get knock retard, so I zero'd out the Burst Knock Hold time and Decay time and now don't get knock retard, is it ok to do this? Basically my understanding of Burst Knock is that its just the computer retarding the timing due to the sudden increase in air mass and not actual knock right? Oh, this is on a 07 Vette LS2 402 CI with a ECS Supercharger and its a M6.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sure, you can eliminate 'burst knock'. You did it right.

As long as you don't change any other legitimate knock parameters, you will be fine.

It is a common tuning technique. It is an 'anticipatory' pulling of timing..like you said, it pulls timing in anticipation of knock (large increase in cylinder air).

Are you sure it was burst knock? Sometimes you have to log it separately. Just logging KR won't always do it. Depending on your tuning software, most burst knock just shows as timing being pulled..but not as KR.

The bottom line is you did it right. Some tuners don't like doing it. I also zeroed mine out..real KR is my concern.

Good luck.

..WeathermanShawn..
Old 01-04-2010, 09:21 AM
FormerVendor

Depending on the level of the build, you may have to simply because the std rate of climb is so fast, it always anticipates the amount of airflow as a burst condition. This will cause erratic timing throughout a dyno pull.

Being that timing is lowered from stock with an FI build, it is generally not a problem to remove it, just properly log the car to make sure you are not having knock issue's during fast throttle changes.

Good luck with it.

Quick Reply: Is it ok to eliminate Burst Knock Retard?