Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Avg Tuning Time

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 12:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Avg Tuning Time

Hey guys, Im having trouble getting my car tuned in the Orlando area. Ive been given a number to a local shop and the owner keeps stringing me along, its been about 3 or 4 weeks now that i have waited to get my car tuned. The guy says next week possibly. I hear he is a good tuner so i didnt mind the wait initially but this is getting annoying.

I want to be there when and if he tunes my car which means it would be after 4pm on week days. The guy said this isnt possible because his tuning could take the better part of a day. I questioned him on the time and he said in order to get the car to drive and run correctly it may take that long. He said other tunes which could take a few hrs may not be a "full" tune. I think this guy is giving me a load of crap...so i wanted to hear what you guys think. The car has been tuned once before by someone in Atlanta before my setup changed to current.

Personally, if someone knows their tuning software and what is in my car i dont think tuning should take more than a few hrs. I think this guy just wants to milk me for money.

Any other tuners in Orlando or close to want to tune a ls6 single turbo?

Zak
Old 01-04-2010, 12:26 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

We are two hrs north of Orlando and offer evening tuning appointments. Tuning a working setup is usually not a big time consumer. Fixing problems with the setup -read, issues outside of "tuning," is what takes time. For example, fixing plumbing issues, exhaust leaks. Making sure the fuel system is up and running properly. Describe the rest of the setup. How much boost? M6/A4? Rear?
Old 01-04-2010, 12:34 PM
Staging Lane

Setup is;

93 rx7
2004 ls6
t56 tranny
vindicator cam with valve spings and rods
ls2 intake manifold
60lb injectors
1000 aeromotive fuel pump
precision sc67 turbo
newgen wategate with manual boost **** for adjustments
tuning for 8lbs, rear mount turbo.

i want to do a SD tune.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want a speed density tune, do you have the 2 or 3 bar MAP you want the tuner to work with? Are you aware that it costs the tuner more to use an "enhanced" or "custom" operating system to do that if they intend to use that sensor appropriately?

If you've got the sensor (not installed but ready to hand to them) and you're aware of that costs and have told them you're ok with it, that might help...they might be leary of that.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:29 PM
Staging Lane

10 4, the tune will be a MAF tune then.

My big issue is that i didnt think the tune would take more than 3 hrs like he said, this was a MAF tune too.

Thanks,

Zak
Old 01-04-2010, 03:07 PM
9 Second Club

Received 221 Likes on 164 Posts

The tune could take 3hrs or 8hrs, every car is differnt and sometimes driveabilty issues can take some time to fix. Unless he is trying to charge you by the hr I wouldnt rush the guy if he says he could take "x" amount of times. The "dyno tune" a lot shots do in a couple hrs usually dont cover driveabilty issues.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:04 PM
FLP
LS1TECH Sponsor

When we schedule a car to tune it we schedule for the entire day. If its something easy and doesn't take long so be it. If its something that requires some work it could take a few hours alone just to get the drivability aspect correct. A car like yours with no issues at all besides tuning would probably take the better part of the day to get dialed in.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:27 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by FLP
When we schedule a car to tune it we schedule for the entire day. If its something easy and doesn't take long so be it. If its something that requires some work it could take a few hours alone just to get the drivability aspect correct. A car like yours with no issues at all besides tuning would probably take the better part of the day to get dialed in.
I agree with that statement.

Cutsom Operating Systems from EFI Live do not cost anything extra. 2bar MAP sensor is under $100.

Rushing that setup you have is not a good idea. Planning and precise measuring before the cutting will be the key to your success.

What rear end? Do you have subframes? Are you running a torque-arm?

Last edited by Doc; 01-04-2010 at 05:28 PM. Reason: forgot about rear and suspension questions
Old 01-04-2010, 05:49 PM
Staging Lane

The rear end is stock for now but will be beefed up when I hook up and it rips it out. haha. Torque arm is from Hinson Supercars as well as the subframe.

Im new to the area down here so I was somewhat skeptical when he told me that. Hopefully he will charge according to time spent.