Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting into tuning

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 01:38 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Getting into tuning

well guys there is alot of guys in our area that mess with f/i cars, alot of ls and lt cars.... Im wanting a break down of what all i will need to get started on learning how to tune on the cars.... When I had one of my cars tuned I was with the guy, and he hooked a wideband of some sort into my 02 sensor and ran the car pretty hard to check a/f ratio and tuned from there... Im wanting to know the best and easiest software i need and all.......
Im going to buy a good laptop strickly for tuning on the cars!!! ANY INPUT WOULD BE GREAT!

thanks chris
Old 01-09-2010, 09:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You need a decent wideband..you will get so many opinions I would not even try to advise you as any specific brand or model.

With some tuning software a laptop may not even be necessary (check with each Vendor). Personally, I like logging with a laptop. So many laptops deals out there. You really do not need all the bells and whistles to really tune and log.

The learning curve with tuning is subjective. I found it moderately difficult at first, but once you are hooked it is fun.

I will leave it to you to check out various tuning software websites along with all the numerous wideband suggestions.

Sure, it takes some initial financial investment to do it right. All worth it if you can stick with it.

Good luck.

..WeathermanShawn..
Old 01-09-2010, 09:50 AM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I bought hp tuners and my buddy bought efi live. I can tell you from a beginner stand point that me and my buddy as beginners both believe hp tuners to be the easier to understand and give a more user friendly set-up.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:47 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

NGK AFX wideband - $250-$275

HP Tuners Pro - $650

Decent laptop - $300-$500

Tuning books and training software - $50 - $1000 depending on what you want and how fast you learn.

Lots of time to read, read, read and then learn to setup PIDS and Histograms, understand what changes in air and fuel do to an engine and what tables to adjust. Do a few free tunes (except for the charge to license the PCM) for your buddies to learn how to do it before you expect others to lay down their money for your tune.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:38 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 69LT1Bird
NGK AFX wideband - $250-$275

HP Tuners Pro - $650

Decent laptop - $300-$500

Tuning books and training software - $50 - $1000 depending on what you want and how fast you learn.

Lots of time to read, read, read and then learn to setup PIDS and Histograms, understand what changes in air and fuel do to an engine and what tables to adjust. Do a few free tunes (except for the charge to license the PCM) for your buddies to learn how to do it before you expect others to lay down their money for your tune.
Couldn't agree more, there are interchangeable widebands that will work & several levels of tuning books/training but yeah thats a pretty good price breakdown.

If you have any questions about our product specifically let me know

Old 01-09-2010, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Get the books they sell on the HPT website. There's a reason those books are there
Old 01-13-2010, 08:05 AM
10 Second Club

guys thanks alot.... I guess ill start with my buying a good wideband!!!! any more input would would be great!!!!!!!
Old 01-13-2010, 08:55 AM
ctd
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A tuning friend & I have purchased most of the tuning material available.

Some of the not so expensive books are very good, I would suggest starting with those first.

Your level of computer geekness is a huge factor in learning the software. My computer skills are weak so I've had to deal with that along the way.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:47 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Shameless plug below...

http://www.masportspeedshop.com/serv...-tuning/Detail
Old 01-13-2010, 08:14 PM
ctd
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That's what I'm talkin about!