Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 Camaro SS rough idle and thick smoke

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 10:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Camaro SS rough idle and thick smoke

I started my SS today and went to bring something into my house while it warms up and I come out to check the tire pressure. Then while I'm doing that I notice it sounds different and a little bit of smoke coming from the exhaust. I pop the hood and the motor is shaking more than normal for idle and all of the sudden the smoke gets really thick. I drove it to the end of my street and it smoothed out and quit smoking but i was afraid to drive it before i found out what the problem was. Its never ran bad ever and I had to go to my first day of welding school so I didnt want to risk it and just took the Buick. Anybody have any ideas what would cause this? Would it be safe to drive it 9 miles to the auto parts store to have the codes checked? Any help is appreciated.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:33 PM
Teching In

Also the Service Engine Soon light was flashing on and off until I took it down the street and pulled back in my driveway then it just stayed on.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

flashing ses light means misfire for what ever reason.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Had a similar experience once. Turned out to be just some bad gas, or a momentary 'clog' of an injector (dirty).

Bottom line, if it does not repeat itself..and it corrected itself quickly..might have just been some fuel contamination.

Maybe just try a fresh tank of gas and some fuel cleaning additive first. If it is a bigger problem, it will repeat.

Good luck.

..WeathermanShawn..