PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How accurate are the factory O2's? Do I need a wideband?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2003, 06:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default How accurate are the factory O2's? Do I need a wideband?

Three friends and myself are going to go in on LS1-edit for $250 each. It sounds alot better than spending $450-500 for a dynotune but then there is dynotime with a wideband O2. It runs about $75 an hour out here for a dyno with a wideband. How long does it take a professional tuner to tune in a car? How long will it take myself if I get proficient with it?

I have a cam and long-tubes and I am running PIG RICH! I need the tuning to:
-correct my A/F
-delete my AIR, EGR and Rear O2's
-raise my rev limiter and idle
-turn on my fans sooner for a 160 Thermostat
-get rid of the cam surge at start-up and 1300-1500rpm.

I think I can do most of it without the dyno (?) and I was hoping to skip the dyno all together. Even if I can't it will be awhile before I can get to one so how accurate can I get the a/f ratio using the factories O2 sensors? Are they even close to use for a foundation to work on? Thanks- Mike W.
Old 12-27-2003, 06:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tell them to go in on the lm-1 group buys with the rpm pickup. Figure $425 split between you guys. No point guessing. O2's are slow and very egt sensitive. A wideband even a cheap one like lm-1 will pay for itself time and time again. I've got an old ntk based wideband probably put 200+ hours on it. And its still being used (by friends mostly lately). Got an lm-1 with rpm as well, its quite nice for the price.

Most o2 sensors are not going to let you dial in a perfect air fuel ratio unless your looking for something like 13.0:1 max. The wideband will show those errors you make that dip into the 11's and 12's that rob your power (or make power) depending on what you want. And if you put the car on the hose, the wideband is a must. O2 sensor will be way out of range and you don't want 13:1 last time i checked on the spray.
Old 12-27-2003, 08:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

u can use the factory o2's to get close readings, get u in the OK range, just dont wanna go too lean on it. u can get them to about 900-920 and be ok until u get a wideband

just make sure u dont have any knock

Last edited by WS6FirebirdTA00; 12-27-2003 at 09:03 PM.