Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

intermittent low oil light even with sensor unplugged

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 03:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intermittent low oil light even with sensor unplugged

Got a newly installed LS6 crate in my 98 the low oil light has been on and off since I got back from the shop a few weeks ago I got tired of it and just unplugged it but the light is still on most of the time?
Old 02-21-2010, 03:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

before the install right after I got the car last year the low oil light would stay on even when full so I just unplugged it and it went away but I got an oil leak and lost all my oil and spun a bearing hence the crate engine so I'd like to fix this problem for extra precaution.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:16 PM
10 Second Club

You definitely want that sensor working correctly. Have you checked the actual wiring? I believe it's a two wire sensor (grey and brown). I would follow the wiring from the sensor back to the harness to make sure it's not broken or pinched.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:17 PM
Teching In

sounds like an intermittent short to power
Old 02-23-2010, 07:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Q8-TECH
sounds like an intermittent short to power

stop typing. you obviously dont know how this ckt works, the ckt is a normally open switch when the oil level is within an acceptable level the switch closes. when the oil level drops too low the switch opens and the pcm turns on the oil level indicator in the ipc, with the switch closed the pcm is looking for ground. you more than likely have an open ground. check to make sure that you have ground on the black wire coming from the switch. if you do not. either trace and repair open ground ckt or just run a new wire to a good ground. hope this all helps
Old 04-04-2012, 08:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm bumping this thread because I just installed a different pcm a few days ago(out of a 98 Z28) to fix another problem I'm having..it didn't fix that problem but my low oil light hasn't come on since. I tried two different new sensors to fix this problem at the time of the engine install and it didn't fix it so I'm debating now just getting this stock pcm re tuned so I have a correct functioning sensor if the pcm is my problem?
Old 04-04-2012, 07:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

well I spoke too soon light came back on today and oil is full so it's not the pcm.

Quick Reply: intermittent low oil light even with sensor unplugged