Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has racecar tuning tips?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 08:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Who has racecar tuning tips?

If you have a track-only car do you just tune at idle and WOT? I have always used highway data as a starting point after modifying my engine. Now that my car can no longer be street driven, I’m wondering how to tune for, say, bigger injectors, using only dragstrip data. I have HPTuners, a wideband, and I am reasonably familiar with the F-body PCM. I dislike dyno sessions. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I have my Vette pretty much tuned so when I go racing I usually only tune on VE table. To make sure my AFR is what I want it to be. I run SD open loop & use HP Tuner Pro. So all I fool with is fuel and maybe shift points. But have raced this thing for 5yrs.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

+1 OLSD tune
with lots of work on idle to keep the plugs clean under all temperature conditions.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:24 PM
On The Tree

maf + open loop is still my favorite.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:22 PM
10 Second Club

I experimented with speed density a while ago and decided it was too much trouble for normal driving. Now that I only need idle and WOT I may ditch the MAF and try again. I will be spraying a 150 dry shot and getting rid of the MAF will give me a better place to mount my nozzle. I am wondering why the responses so far have all mentioned open loop. I see no advantage to open loop at idle and with or without a MAF, WOT is always open loop.

Last edited by Gary Z; 02-24-2010 at 06:50 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:00 PM
TECH Resident

I ran SD no maf closed loop for the last year and tuned on country highways so I could get my VE really dialed in. It drives good on the street, and runs great on the road race track. The PE is right for WOT, and it goes to closed loop for the corners at low throttle. Now I added a MAF and it is more friendly for street. Data from street tuning can be a good start for the track.
I would want to know the VE is correct before I go to open loop tune.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:12 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by racecar
I ran SD no maf closed loop for the last year and tuned on country highways so I could get my VE really dialed in.
Hey, I didn’t expect genuine racecar tuning tips - I love this site. I agree street tuning is the best starting point but California does her best to make that difficult. Since I only care about idle and WOT tuning should be simple. I used to do my WOT tuning on a nearby freeway onramp. Now I just need to waste a few track passes.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:30 PM
Launching!

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Tuning dedicated racecars properly is no different than tuning street cars properly. Even a 7-second drag racer needs more than just idle and WOT. What happens if you have to pedal it for traction? Is a stall OK then? What about a sluggish recovery from the temporary lift in throttle? ...catch my drift?

Regardless of whether you go SD, MAF or blended operation, the whole map needs attention to get the most out of the car. Whether you like it or not, the most consistent way to get this done is on a load bearing dyno.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:07 PM
10 Second Club

turbolx - very good points - thanks.