PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help idle problems

Old 02-22-2010, 05:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation Help idle problems

Ok so the car has been tuned numerous times but it's still having numerous problems holding idle when I brake hard or turn the wheels hard. It's not bumping the idle up to compensate for the changes like it should, which lead me to think the IAC was bad. I took it out cleaned it and still the same result. So tomorrow I'm going to hook a Volt Meter up to it and see if it's dead or not. I also found a small cut through a TPS Wire which I sautered back together and retaped still no help with the idle. If the IAC Sensor is ok then what else is there to check. I have checked numerous times for Vaccum leaks and no luck with that either. Please help any info would be very appreciated.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:20 PM
9 Second Club

Received 221 Likes on 164 Posts

It really sounds like you just need to find a differnt tuner. The IAC motor will crazy if your tune is off, idle airflow, timing a/f, idle speed all effect what the IAC is doing. The futher off the tune the more the IAC is going to be trying to work.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:08 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like the FAST intake is leaking somewhere.Have seen it numerous times. When under a high vacuum it pulls air in,adds fuel then when the vacuum levels out-near a stop- the car loads up and wants to stall.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:40 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm, was the FAST intake leaking between the 2 halves in the cases you saw? I had the same problem as this guy, but was able to fix it in the tune. My setup is 100% different than him though, nothing is stock anymore I doubt the intake ports are leaking, because I put my intake on when the motor was out of the car. And I bought a new MAP seal and "shimmed" it out with a piece of heat shrink tubing so it fits snug.

Just curious, since my car seems to run fine now.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:46 PM
Staging Lane

Slowhawk you have a point, and I've had 3 diff people tune it so far and none can get this little bug out which either makes me think its the IAC or a leak but I checked for leaks forever but I never did check the FAST. Is there a fast efficient way to check the FAST for leaks?
Old 02-24-2010, 05:18 AM
Doc
FormerVendor

The "Fast" way- although not always thoroughly conclusive is to spray brake clean around the edges/seals of the intake and check to see if the idle go's up/crazy.

Did you use the rounded off button head style valley cover bolts? I've noticed the early FAST manifolds needed a little more than the factory torque spec. This is a touchy subject as you are torquing fasteners into aluminum.

Were fresh intake manifold gaskets (on the ports & inbtw the halves) changed out everytime the manifold was taken off / dissassembled?

Lastly and this might be beyond what tools you have- What are the IAC counts when the car is fully warmed up?

Search this Thread