Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stall converter tune question

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 11:30 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stall converter tune question

So I will be installing a Yank SS4000 here in the next month and need to get this figured out. My car threw this code:
PO751 Shift Solenoid A Performance or Stuck Off/ 1-2 Shift Solenoid Valve Performance

I have read that code is commonly turned off, along with another code, when the car is tuned for a converter. So do I even need to mess with replacing the solenoid if the code is just going to get shut off when I get the car tuned anyway? Seems to me that after it gets tuned it wouldn't be an issue anymore.

Also my plan is to install the converter and then put 150 very easy miles on it since thats what the installation instructions said to do. Then I'll take my car to get the tune adjusted after that. So as long as I drive with a light foot and no WOT runs with the car before the 150 miles/tune I should be fine right?
Old 03-04-2010, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by green28
So I will be installing a Yank SS4000 here in the next month and need to get this figured out. My car threw this code:
PO751 Shift Solenoid A Performance or Stuck Off/ 1-2 Shift Solenoid Valve Performance

I have read that code is commonly turned off, along with another code, when the car is tuned for a converter. So do I even need to mess with replacing the solenoid if the code is just going to get shut off when I get the car tuned anyway? Seems to me that after it gets tuned it wouldn't be an issue anymore.

Also my plan is to install the converter and then put 150 very easy miles on it since thats what the installation instructions said to do. Then I'll take my car to get the tune adjusted after that. So as long as I drive with a light foot and no WOT runs with the car before the 150 miles/tune I should be fine right?
you ain't going to hurt the converter. When I had a yank if I recall they told me to repeatedly lock and unlock the converter when it was brand new
Old 03-04-2010, 03:50 PM
12 Second Club

If memory serves, that code will set due to the pcm detecting more slippage than it wants to see, usually that code as well as the others will set when a higher stall converter is installed because the pcm sees more slippage than it wants. When the code sets usually it will lock the transmission in gear as a safeguard. If your seeing this code without a higher stall converter you might have a real slippage issue.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:19 AM
11 Second Club

But the code will throw to if it is just a bad solenoin correct? The car drove and shifted fine with this code thrown. The first time it came on was when I was driving slow over some rough railroad tracks. My main question is why replace the solenoid if the code will get turned off anyway?
Old 03-05-2010, 12:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Chris81
If your seeing this code without a higher stall converter you might have a real slippage issue.
I agree. You could have a tranny problem if you see that code . It probably would be easier to replace both soleniods when you decide to upgrade your converter to be on the safe side. I still get the 3rd soleniod code every now and then , I just use my little Actron hand-held scanner and "erase the code" and I'm back to driving normal .
Old 03-05-2010, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Running a SS3600 here and no trans codes are turned off. If the solenoid is not working then the trans won't be able to shift through all the gears.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:03 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by green28
But the code will throw to if it is just a bad solenoin correct? The car drove and shifted fine with this code thrown. The first time it came on was when I was driving slow over some rough railroad tracks. My main question is why replace the solenoid if the code will get turned off anyway?
You can always just leave it and have the code turned off when the converter is installed, you'll know pretty quick if you have a real issue or not if the transmission starts acting up.

I will say that i've tuned a good number of stalled 4L60E cars and i've only had these codes set for 2 of them, both cars had pretty loose converters that would flash to over 4000 rpm. If the cars I was working on didn't set the code, I left it alone.