Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

test for fryed pcm?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 10:26 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default test for fryed pcm?

i have a 98 camaro that was running at a friends shop a few weeks ago..he did some welding. so now wont run, fuel pumps dead. is there a way to test the computer to see if it got damaged from the welding.. I dont want to buy a new one yet
Old 03-10-2010, 08:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

First check your fuses for the PCM, if you have or know of someone that has software (HP Tuners, EFI Live ect) you could see if you can communicate with the PCM..
Old 03-10-2010, 09:47 AM
10 Second Club

fueses are all fine.. alright i think i can get hp tuners on it. the shop its at has an ob2 scanner that would work till i can get HP tuners down there
Old 03-11-2010, 12:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jason02Z
i have a 98 camaro that was running at a friends shop a few weeks ago..he did some welding. so now wont run, fuel pumps dead. is there a way to test the computer to see if it got damaged from the welding.. I dont want to buy a new one yet
I was going to ask if your friend disconnected the computer and battery before welding on the car.

If the ALDL is still alive, there is at least one code, probably more that reveals the status of the PCM if it hasn't been totally killed. I'm looking for the list but it won't be a "P" code. I think you would see a DTC that starts with the letter "U".