Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some help tuning

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 11:18 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need some help tuning

Hi, i just got my Hptuners vcm suite standard edition. I have a 1998 Camaro SS 6 speed with a cutout, LS6 intake, and a lid. I need to know how to tune out my EGR successfully. So far i just set the codes to no error reported and EGR to disable. Isn't there something else I need to do? And just some questions, where can I find my AFR and what is safe to advance my timing too? I'm not sure if I was getting the right reading when I was logging because my timing advance went up to around 45* and I thought LS1's liked to be around 28* total advance.

Thanks
Old 03-09-2010, 12:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well if you wanted to tune out EGR, it sounds like you did it right.

When you asked [ ..don't I have to do something else..], do you mean with EGR or 'something else' in your tune?

As far as Spark Advance and AFR you are really going to need to get it up on a dyno to safely do it and maximize gain. Some guys are pretty good at doing via street, but you have to know what you are doing. The 28 degree timing number may be generally correct for your year, but that is the Spark Advance at WOT.

Where do you find your AFR? From your wideband that should be connected up. If you don't have one, it is very difficult to impossible to ascertain from just your narrow-bands. You can log your Commanded AFR, but I assume you mean your actual AFR.

What guide for tuning are you using. I have the 'other' software, but I know HPT has a lot of Tutorials written up. That would be where I would start.

Until then, hope the information helps you.

Good luck.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:15 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WeathermanShawn
Well if you wanted to tune out EGR, it sounds like you did it right.

When you asked [ ..don't I have to do something else..], do you mean with EGR or 'something else' in your tune?

As far as Spark Advance and AFR you are really going to need to get it up on a dyno to safely do it and maximize gain. Some guys are pretty good at doing via street, but you have to know what you are doing. The 28 degree timing number may be generally correct for your year, but that is the Spark Advance at WOT.

Where do you find your AFR? From your wideband that should be connected up. If you don't have one, it is very difficult to impossible to ascertain from just your narrow-bands. You can log your Commanded AFR, but I assume you mean your actual AFR.

What guide for tuning are you using. I have the 'other' software, but I know HPT has a lot of Tutorials written up. That would be where I would start.

Until then, hope the information helps you.

Good luck.
what i meant by something else is, i think i read i need to "0" out some other tables for the EGR. Is the spark advance added together with something? Like I was saying my scanner was saying 45* at WOT. And I didn't know I needed to buy a wideband for AFR since I figured it could know it from the o2 sensor and MAF readings.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would double-check with HPT on EGR Tables. Usually it is just a simple 'ENABLE', 'DISABLE'. Usually you go under Engine Diagnostics and change any MIL to NO MIL. Its possible you change the engine enablers to 'Do not report', but that should be pretty easy to scan.

As far as no wideband..You will not get very many reputable posters on this forum who would say you can interpolate O2 readings and 'MAF" to figure out WOT AFR. You can do a pretty good job at part-throttle just from your narrowbands, but risking a $6000+ dollar engine without a $200 dollar wideband is not recommended.

As far as your spark reading 45, I don't know what to say. I can't read HPT scans, but I am sure if you posted your tune and log someone could comment. Usually it is just something in the selection of your PID, but I have no idea what tune you have loaded.

It sounds like maybe you have just started tuning..nothing wrong with that, but you need to really get a wideband and start from the beginning.
Thats the best advice I can give you. Perhaps someone with HPT can comment, but hopefully this will get you started.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WeathermanShawn
I would double-check with HPT on EGR Tables. Usually it is just a simple 'ENABLE', 'DISABLE'. Usually you go under Engine Diagnostics and change any MIL to NO MIL. Its possible you change the engine enablers to 'Do not report', but that should be pretty easy to scan.

As far as no wideband..You will not get very many reputable posters on this forum who would say you can interpolate O2 readings and 'MAF" to figure out WOT AFR. You can do a pretty good job at part-throttle just from your narrowbands, but risking a $6000+ dollar engine without a $200 dollar wideband is not recommended.

As far as your spark reading 45, I don't know what to say. I can't read HPT scans, but I am sure if you posted your tune and log someone could comment. Usually it is just something in the selection of your PID, but I have no idea what tune you have loaded.

It sounds like maybe you have just started tuning..nothing wrong with that, but you need to really get a wideband and start from the beginning.
Thats the best advice I can give you. Perhaps someone with HPT can comment, but hopefully this will get you started.
ya i just started tuning, im a newbie when it comes to it, im currently taking an engine performance class at my JC so i know what the terms mean and how the engine is mechanically running. how does a wideband work and which do you recommend i buy?