PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Temp tune for bad knock sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 07:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Temp tune for bad knock sensors?

I threw an SES this afternoon; long story short, I have a bad knock sensor. I recorded a couple of 5 miles drives and noted that there was no retard; I went back through several old logs files and occasionally see retard, but not in all of them and not much.

The error is P0327 only (not a P0332),

1. Am I to assume that just one sensor went bad?
2. Can I drive it back and forth to work in this state? (I have both sensors and intake gaskets on order, should be here in a few days)
3. Is there something I should do to the tune to make it safer for the time being? I'm running Chevron Super, so that should help minimize pinging.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you have no KR in the past, there is no reason to freak out. Especially when you have access to high-octane gas.

If you have a bad knock sensor and you can replace it..thats great. Otherwise, just common sense. Stay out of WOT. If you have a good ear for engine pinging, just listen for it and lower your High and/or Low Octane Timing if you are worried about it.

Pinging is such a distinctive sound, so if you hear it you will know. Just stay smart and keep out of WOT until you have the knock sensor replaced.

No need to 'bench' your car at this point. Enjoy..
Old 03-30-2010, 11:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I would not go over 3000rpm at all and you should be fine. If you car has knock just cruising around on the street under 3000rpm then you have much bigger problems.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:03 PM
Launching!

Thanx, guys. Parts should be here Wed or Thur and I'll replace them. I didn;t get a harness, thinking I could fabricate one if necessary (as long as the connectors aren't bad); does that sound off-base? I intend to replace the intake gasket since I'm in there and then seal the knock sensors with silicon since I'm sure the boot (or whatever it's called) is deteriorated.

Anything else I should look at while I'm in there? I know the intake is ful of oil; I got a little aggressive when I cut the tube (egr tube?) out of the intake a few years ago and she seems to suck a bit of oil now. I was going to run seafoam through the engine, but haven't gotten around to it since I live in town at the moment.

Do I have to pull the intake completely out, or should i leave some things connected and just move it (not that there's much room under the dash in the engine compartment)?