Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

setting up raf in hptuners

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 12:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default setting up raf in hptuners

ok iv been searching for a hour or so and cant find an answer. how to i set up hptuners for raf tuning.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't know specifically for HPT as I never bothered to use it for it. But to give you a slight heads up before someone who knows HPT better than me chimes in. In EFI LIVE you log STIT, LTIT and RAFIG.DMA with A/C off. The RAFIG.DMA pid you log into a MAP (histogram) with an ECT axis. Start it cold, don't touch the throttle and let it climb to operating temp. Those values in the MAP then get added to the desired air flow table. DONE.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:04 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Use this .cfg, you will do like Macca said, start the engine, no throttle movement, run up to operating temp. If its an auto you will do this twice, once in park, allow to cool back down and then again in gear.

The data in the first two histograms gets copied and pasted into the Base Running Airflow tables, no subtracted.

Go to post #3, get the Idle-Airflow.cfg
http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...ight=Russk+RAF
Old 04-05-2010, 08:54 AM
TECH Regular

Make sure you have your tables setup the same, I had this problem when doing my RAF. I had one table set for lb/min & the other g/sec. So my numbers where WAY off, my stock table was showing like 14-12 lb/min and my scanner was reading like 1.6-2.4 g/sec and I couldn't figure out why the #'s were so low.

As soon as I changed the scanner to lb/min it all made sense.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

awesome thanks ill give it a try
Old 08-21-2010, 06:43 PM
12 Second Club

Sorry to bring this one back from the dead but I thought it was better than making a new one.

When I do this (idle airflow tuning) should I have my MAF turned on or off? (When I did part throttle tuning all the guides had me turn it off but never said when you should turn it back on.

For that matter, should I do idle airflow tuning THEN part throttle tuning THEN WOT?

Thanks a lot folks.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:36 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I usually rough in desired airflow and timing based on experience (just to help it idle at first). Then, using wideband feedback, tune the VE AFR for idle and part throttle. Put the MAF back on and tune the MAF for idle, part throttle, and then WOT... During WOT, I use the wideband feedback for both VE and MAF. Then make timing changes to see what the combo makes best torque and power at. Then do idle airflow last...
Old 08-21-2010, 07:59 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks, that helps a bunch. I still don't have a wideband so I was trying to fix my idle first. The wideband is in the mail right now so i suppose i'll wait until that comes in.

Thanks again.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:06 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Working on it now will help if it is really idling like crap... just go over it again once you get the AFR right with the wideband...
Old 09-02-2010, 10:54 AM
Teching In

I have pondered this question as well recently due to the interaction of the 3 models (RAF, MAF and VE) with each other. If you rough in the RAF, won't you be compensating for any variances when you set the VE (approximately 800/1200 rpm/55Kpa)and MAF (approximately 3000-3250 HZ) at 0 throttle? When you go back and do the idle scan after the VE/MAF tuning, I assume the RAF curve should dip/increase (depending on how far off you were) based on the VE/MAF settings...correct?

Is the RAF a stand alone fueling parameter when you are at 0 throttle? or does the MAF/VE intervene as well? This is where I am confused as to which came first,, the chicken or the egg.

Interestingly, the other day after tuning the VE (I always zero the MAF table) I forgot to put the MAF table back and the car started, idled and even drove away until about a 1/2 mile later it died. That was when the PCM decided to use the MAF table which was all zeros I summized.

Hope this makes sense, because it drives me crazy when the off throttle idle changes orders of magnitude when tuning the MAF/VE

Hope this makes sense

Ed M
Old 09-02-2010, 08:16 PM
12 Second Club

It definitely has to be the way you say "MAF affects idle tuning at 0 TPS" because I set my idle tuning with the MAF on, and then I turned off the MAF to do VE tuning and the car wouldn't start (it would crank, but die right away without throttle). SO i got discouraged and turned MAF back on and the car runs great again. I'm waiting to do any more tuning until I get my WB installed.
Old 10-26-2019, 02:42 PM
Teching In

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

is there a current Idle-Airflow.cfg file for the newer versions of hp tuners?
if so, link?
Old 10-27-2019, 12:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by iigw
if so, link?
You are asking a question in a 9 year old thread. Odds are these people are no longer here. Congrats on using the search function, but look at the dates next time.
Old 10-31-2019, 06:32 AM
11 Second Club

Received 284 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by iigw
if so, link?

Here's a video link explaining what to do, and how to set it up.

The following users liked this post:
mcgojosh (08-15-2023)
Old 11-26-2023, 07:48 PM
Teching In

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gametech
You are asking a question in a 9 year old thread. Odds are these people are no longer here. Congrats on using the search function, but look at the dates next time.
weird, 4 years later, and still relevant today..

thank you google for bringing me back here.
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (11-26-2023)

Quick Reply: setting up raf in hptuners