Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stuck in Speed Density????

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 05:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stuck in Speed Density????

Not sure where else to post this cause I'm not positive its in the tune or an issue with the wire harness, but need some suggestions on what to try out.

Long story short, my buddy has a 6.0 ws-6 that he bought from a guy that had TSP build, install, and tune the engine. It had been getting about 10mpg since he bouight it so he wanted me to look at the tune and see what could be so off, i figured his injector table wasn't adjusted since they arn't stock but all the values were > 40.

I then dataloged the car and it turns out the LTFT & STFT's are not showing any output at all, which would explain while the mpg is so bad. What makes this even weirder is that in engine diagnostics, MAF perfomance is disabled and so are all the o2 sensors. This makes me think TSP put it in SD for whatever reason. Anyways, we've tried basically everything we know to change in the tune to get it out of SD with no luck; even called soundengineer (scott) which is a mod on hptuners.com, and sent him the tune. He changed a few things but still, no output.

BTW, the guy's has dyno sheets for the car where it made 430hp 450ftlbs so it performs, PT just sucks.

Last edited by 273sunsetZ; 04-10-2010 at 06:21 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:21 PM
Teching In

yeah the dyno sheets say 445/453. guys, any kind of help would be great. i may have to just call TSP, i was goin to today but they are only monday-friday
Old 04-11-2010, 11:47 PM
Teching In

help? anyone? please
Old 04-12-2010, 01:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

First off, your terminology is incorrect.

No fuel trims is open loop. SD is where it doesn't use the MAF for airflow (not just turning off a MAF code).

Do you have a link where you posted the tune over there? Or will you post it here with a log.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:14 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JonCR96Z
First off, your terminology is incorrect.

No fuel trims is open loop. SD is where it doesn't use the MAF for airflow (not just turning off a MAF code).

Do you have a link where you posted the tune over there? Or will you post it here with a log.
Gotcha, I couldn't get any MAF output either even with swapping a known good one for his so wasn't sure if it was all connected in some way. When i get to my laptop this evening I will post the tune and log.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:42 PM
10 Second Club

After looking at the log again, it is showing frequency for the MAF, but not a lb/m output. But anyways, the files are attached.
Attached Files
File Type: hpt
Joshws-6.hpt (456.3 KB, 53 views)
File Type: hpl
JoshWS6.hpl (68.8 KB, 50 views)
Old 04-12-2010, 03:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Set the MAF, MAP, and front O2 codes back to the stock settings. Having them report no error is evidently keeping them from working at all. You're running straight off of the OL EQ table, which is why your commanded AFR is so rich most of the time and the reason for the bad MPG.

Also you can log O2 voltages just to see how there are responding.

Is this the tune that Scott worked on or the original?
Old 04-12-2010, 07:21 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JonCR96Z
Set the MAF, MAP, and front O2 codes back to the stock settings. Having them report no error is evidently keeping them from working at all. You're running straight off of the OL EQ table, which is why your commanded AFR is so rich most of the time and the reason for the bad MPG.

Also you can log O2 voltages just to see how there are responding.

Is this the tune that Scott worked on or the original?
That is the original. Thanks for the help, i'll try this when I get back in town this weekend and see what we come up with. Why do you think the tune was set up this way?
Old 04-12-2010, 07:31 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Man, that's one jacked up tune. I like the stair stepper MAF table.

You need to log your 02 sensors. I would bet they're showing 445mv +/-, which indicates they're either unplugged, or an open circuit of some sort. Setting the codes to no error reported will not disable them. They should still function normally, just not set a code if they don't.

One more thing. You need to select the MAF lbs/hr or g/sec to log that. Send me an email and I can send you a good config file for your scanner. Should have all the pertinent pids. edcmat-l1@msn.com is my email. It will be in the AM when I send it to you. Gotta go home and sleep.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:36 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 273sunsetZ
Why do you think the tune was set up this way?
All those codes should not have been disabled. It looks like the car may have had issues, and someone didn't want the SES light to come on.

Either way, the codes set to no error reported in not the reason for the lack of closed loop. I would set them all back to stock and see what sets. That will clue you in to what's wrong.

Go to the tune repository (hptuners website) and pull off a stock tune for your year/model, and open it in the compare feature. Go to the DTCs and start setting everything back to stock.

PM or email for any further info.