PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to expect at the Dyno Shop!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 09:41 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to expect at the Dyno Shop!

Installing Kooks Race headers and Tsp True Duals this weekend on my 02 m6. So my question is I'm going to the local performance shop next week to have the Air and rear o2's deleted and to dyno tune my car. He's going to tune with a HP tuner and is charging me 200 for the license, 115 for the Air and o2 delete, and 85 for tune and dyno! Does that seem about right? Also what type of tune should I be expecting him to put in the car? Sorry for the lack of knowledge, just started getting into the whole modding and tunning Dept. Is there a better route to go down? I know about mail order tunes, but I am heading to the track for the season's big event in 2 weeks and don't want any mishaps with shipping! Now HP Tuner's are 500 plus a laptop (ouch). Then there is the Predator that can be customized by a CMR, so 200 for used unlocked programmer and 100 for Air delete and tune! Is the predator's tune worth spending 300 or do I spend the extra hundred for the dyno tune?
Old 04-16-2010, 02:04 PM
FormerVendor

Get the dyno tune. $400 is not a bad price for one.
Old 04-17-2010, 06:23 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The price breakdown is kinda whack, but the total ($400) is what I would charge for a first time dyno tune. I lower the price after the first time because I would already have the license for that car and the base work of tuning the car is done...

But, whether it is worth it or not all depends on if the tuner is a good one or not. For a car with your mods, you should be fine... the more mods, the more the tuners true capability comes out.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:00 AM
Teching In

Thanks, I'll be going to the Dyno shop next week. I'm hoping for around 340rwhp!
Old 04-17-2010, 08:12 AM
9 Second Club

What about the drivability tuning? To truly get a COMPLETE tune, he needs to tune the VE Table,MAF Table and MAF Table @WOT. Do not pay $400.00 for a few WOT dyno pulls. This is not a tune!
Old 04-17-2010, 08:21 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by HUNTER02SS
What about the drivability tuning? To truly get a COMPLETE tune, he needs to tune the VE Table,MAF Table and MAF Table @WOT. Do not pay $400.00 for a few WOT dyno pulls. This is not a tune!
Absolutely! $400 should be for a complete tune. Ask the tuner what he is going to do - if he doesn't explain it to you similar to the above, then he probably isn't doing a good job.

I always take the time to explain to customers what open loop is and that I am going to tune the car with the MAF out of the equation, then hook it back up and tune it... then tune the closed loop on the street after the dyno... I put it in laymans terms, but explain how it is done. And that is for every car - whether it only has headers or heads/cam or power adders...
Old 04-17-2010, 09:34 AM
Teching In

Yea, I'm going to have him explain all that he is doing before I start. I just don't know much about HP Tuners and if I should expect him to tune the VE Table or just the MAF. I've read alot of threads about most Performance shops won't take the time to tune the VE Table and not to worry about it. He just makes me a little nervous that he doesn't know a whole lot about tuning. I am eventually going to buy an HPT once I buy up a H/C setup, and become more familiar with tuning, but that's down the road a ways!
Old 04-18-2010, 07:55 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02TribalsWS6
Yea, I'm going to have him explain all that he is doing before I start. I just don't know much about HP Tuners and if I should expect him to tune the VE Table or just the MAF. I've read alot of threads about most Performance shops won't take the time to tune the VE Table and not to worry about it. He just makes me a little nervous that he doesn't know a whole lot about tuning. I am eventually going to buy an HPT once I buy up a H/C setup, and become more familiar with tuning, but that's down the road a ways!
You should not have to know alot about HP Tuners to get a good tune. This is the job of the Tuner.YES, you should expect the tuner to tune the VE and MAF tables, this is what you are paying him for! The reason the shops do not take time to tune the VE or MAF is because it takes time to do it, or they do not know how to do it, and it must be done on the street, not on a dyno unless it is a loaded dyno and then that dosn't get it as close as it could be.
You pay good money for a Complete tune, if your tuner cannot do it correctly, then find someone who can!
Old 04-22-2010, 10:57 AM
Teching In

Alright well I'll post an update after we finish the tune next Wednesday! Thanks for the advice!

Quick Reply: What to expect at the Dyno Shop!