Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help with log (timing)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Default need help with log (timing)

Trying to find the cause of pinging during throttle tip-in. If someone has an idea what's going on in this log file (efilive) I'd appreciate it. What I don't understand is why there are big swings in timing. They happen at frames 42, 78, 142. In the first one, timing shoots way up right before the throttle even starts opening, so by the time the throttle's open 25%, the timing's at 37, which maybe explains the pinging. In the last one it's during decel, the timing's been high for awhile, then it takes a big dip for no apparent reason, then goes back up again (no pinging there, just don't understand it). What other stuff should I log? Engine is basically stock 2000 BTW (except 2002 injectors and PCM software).
Attached Files
File Type: efi
Camaro_0002.efi (8.5 KB, 121 views)
Old 04-20-2010, 03:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The spark is reacting to your DFCO settings. If you look at B3320 (DFCO MAP) and also B3336 DFCO Spark Timing..you have DFCO enabled and the amount of spark is determined by your MAP and RPM.

I am assuming your have your DFCO MAP enabled around 18-20 MAP? It is then ramping the spark up to your High-Octane Values as you disengage DFCO.

You have two choices. You can simply disengage DFCO by setting the temperature parameters in B3313 to its maximum 140C. Or you can manipulate the engage MAP to a lower value, so it is not so 'trigger-happy'.

Personally I use DFCO all the time. Some engine braking is nice in this non-flat terrain around here. IMO, that is not the direct cause of your 'pinging' you are experiencing. Its probably better to lower your High-Octane Spark to a level that you are not experiencing it. With the proper fueling and spark you should be able to eliminate pinging/knocking.

I am pretty sure that what you are logging is DFCO related. If anybody else sees something different, please comment.

Good luck..

Last edited by WeathermanShawn; 04-20-2010 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Correction..
Old 04-20-2010, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah that makes sense. The timing starts ramping right when MAP hits 19, and my DFCO MAP enable is set at 18, so DFCO would have just been disabled.
I've already lowered HO Spark a little in part of the table, also increased fuel a little, will try a little more. When the engine is like half-way to totally warmed up, it pulls amazingly, no ping, but when it's hot it gets more sluggish with some pinging.