PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Denso 154 lb high impedence injectors. Something isn't right.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 04:25 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Denso 154 lb high impedence injectors. Something isn't right.

One of the cars that I tune is a 2001 Silverado 1500 truck. It is a stout setup with a 408ci that has run 10.8's on spray. We are in the process of converting him off the spray and on to a turbo setup. Our plan has been to do it in phases. Because he wants to run E85 in it eventually, he is stepping up to a big high imp injector ( Denso 154# @ 43.5 psi ). He got these injectors from fiveomotorsports. They are EV6 style so they have the extensions on them in order to make them work with an EV1 (regular for fbodies) rail. Unfortunately, the connectors are also different so he found some pigtails for the EV6 style injectors, cut off his old ones and spliced in the new ones. So that's the back story.

Here's the problem. In order to get this thing to fire up, I have to put in 3-4 times the values that I am accustomed to seeing in the Primary VE table. This is after changing the flow rate vs KPA table. It also runs horribly rich and fouls the plugs up immediately just like it looks horribly rich in the VE table values. The problem is that if I take fuel away, it wont fire. It's almost like it's firing the fuel on the exhaust stroke and then burning what's left over on the compression stroke.

Any ideas? Anyone with experience adapting over the EV6's to an EV1 car? Any tricks?
Old 04-27-2010, 08:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we need some help
Old 04-28-2010, 07:53 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just tuned a customers truck that swapped to LS1 injectors. Let me call him and see what he say's and see if he will post up. His worked fine.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

A couple ideas:

I can't speak for that injector specfically, but it sounds like similar problems to some of the high HP 4 cyls that I do (which run big injectors). Modifying injector offset vs voltage, and minpulse usually helps me here.

Bad fuel atomization? Are the injectors shooting at the right angle. I had this problem on a nitrous car some years ago and I had to add a shitload more fuel to get the thing to run, but if I took any fuel away it would die. Changed the injectors to the right spray pattern and the thing cleared right up.

If the injector is firing at the wrong time in concert with the cam, then the motor should run fine as soon as you rev it over 3k or so.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:13 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HUNTER02SS
I just tuned a customers truck that swapped to LS1 injectors. Let me call him and see what he say's and see if he will post up. His worked fine.
So he went EV6 to EV1? My buddy went the other way.
Originally Posted by NoGo
A couple ideas:

I can't speak for that injector specfically, but it sounds like similar problems to some of the high HP 4 cyls that I do (which run big injectors). Modifying injector offset vs voltage, and minpulse usually helps me here.

Bad fuel atomization? Are the injectors shooting at the right angle. I had this problem on a nitrous car some years ago and I had to add a shitload more fuel to get the thing to run, but if I took any fuel away it would die. Changed the injectors to the right spray pattern and the thing cleared right up.

If the injector is firing at the wrong time in concert with the cam, then the motor should run fine as soon as you rev it over 3k or so.
I wish I had the offset and min pulse values to throw at it. The place that they ordered them from does not have the info.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:39 PM
Coal Mining Director

What is the minimum pulse width logged when it is running?

A 154 high imp is an odd duck. I'd set the mpw to 1.0 to allow it to go that low if needed and look at the adder tables (like voltage offset, etc.) to see how much is added as a set value.

I've hit a wall before between the VE table vs an injector pulse width that got to unstable to idle...had to take it to 12.8ish to get a stable idle with ve and then lower the fp to get the af "ok".
Old 04-28-2010, 08:10 PM
Staging Lane

thats tough, can u run a mod ls9 injector in his new setup w/e85...the mod ls9 inj is 103#'s wouls a 103 be enough? if so call FIC...
Old 04-28-2010, 08:14 PM
Staging Lane

also i have modded ls3 (72#) inj that i got from FIC in my 01 z06 and i have no isues... i also use the stock 2007 z06 injector tables EXCEPT the IFR table which is scaled to 72#'s
Old 04-28-2010, 11:04 PM
Staging Lane

at 60 psi i would need nothing smaller than a 130 lbs injector.
i am the truck in question.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:06 PM
Staging Lane

from the research i have found these injectors have a 1.5 msec delay(dead time) @ 14 volts.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:39 AM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default go with low-zy jets

Ditch those monsters and run low Z injectors. The amount of fuel they would squirt at their 60 psi MPW would probably choke a 500ci motor. Any shorter than their MPW and they won't open so you get too much fuel or not enough. Too test, turn the idle FP down as low as you can as see if it helps. Low impedance will open faster and more consistently at their MPW.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:48 PM
TECH Regular

OT:

wtf is everyone going boost in south fla? LOL

A Dub
Old 04-30-2010, 10:27 PM
FormerVendor

Default my 2 cents

Those denso's are propane injectors. They are not intended for use with reg fuels. Other CNG injectors are used but there is data on the injector characteristics. We tried them with a few of our dealers. IMO They are impossible to tune because there is no data available. These guys that sell them do not know what is needed to make these work. We gave up. Anything new we try ourselves, or one of our dealers try them out. If it don't work we don't sell it. That is the difference in injectors shops vs a guy that just sells injectors because they look like they fit. Also. the polarity on that injector has to be consistent within the chain. There is a pos and neg side of that injector. There is a primary and secondary winding. Wrong polarity will cause a problem on that injector also. . I have some EFI files you can try. It might work, Otherwise you are gonna continually guess on your values. Will they take them back? give me your e mail and try these files.

Quick Reply: Denso 154 lb high impedence injectors. Something isn't right.