Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help, No Spark...

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help, No Spark...

Hey Guys,

I have an RX-7 with a LS1 5.7 from a 02' camaro SS swapped into it. I was recently having issues with the car starting and stalling, now it won't start at all. It died while driving.

The car turns over just fine and it's definitely getting gas, but for whatever reason I am not getting any spark. I pulled two of the plugs and neither of them sparked when I was cranking it over. I used a test light to check the pink wires on the coils and they are showing to be positive. I unplugged the MAF and cranked it over but still no spark.

I plugged in the OBD2 reader and the only code that I was able to pull was P0118. I've checked it out and there is a possibility that I have a bad PCM. If so does that mean I just have to replace my computer? If anyone has any input on this that would be awesome
Old 04-29-2010, 03:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

That code is for a high coolant temperature reading - which can make your car run and start like ****. You need to address your cooling sensor/wiring to fix it.

However, it shouldn't cause spark issues.

There isn't much that will kill spark on both banks. My initial guess is your crank sensor. When you log the car and turn it over can you see RPM on the scanner changing properly?

Have you checked your connections to the coil packs? Make sure they are both plugged in (the big white plug)

How are your grounds? It isn't common for sensors to just start dying all over the car and PCM's don't go bad very often.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a problem with dead cylinders recently after having the valve covers off.
Check the wire harness that runs around the coils. There are several places where mine was rubbing on the the bracket and the insulation was worn thru. That can't be good.
No codes, no spark.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I put the PCM in another car and it fired up no problem. When checking that coolant sensor should I just test for positive wire? All the connections to the coils are good and harness that connects to to those looks good... I haven't hooked it up to any other units except for a basic OBDII reader and that was the only code that I was able to pull. Is there any easy way to check the cam and crank sensors?