Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IAT heat soak make idle lean? HP Tuners

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 12:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default IAT heat soak make idle lean? HP Tuners

I been dialing in my Transam... now a 6.0L turbo. HP Tuners... But noticed after cruising around, or a long interstate trip it wants to die every time you stop or let off the gas. I havnt logged it cause I took the WB off because everything was fine.

My IAT sensor is screwed into an aluminum elbow right in front of the TB and was even too hot to touch last night after cruising around. Will a heat soaked IAT sensor cause it to start to lean way out idling and cruising? What table in HP Tuners can correct this and not let it read the AIT's untill after a certain RPM? ....if thats the problem.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to need more info. Wheres you idle set at? Whats the cam specs? What pcm since its a 6.0 ( i was going to assume its still a 99 ecm) does it stall when its cold? does it stall in only open loop or both open and closed loop. Have you messed with the DFCO? Are you running a custom os? Speed density maf only or SD/maf? Have you messed with your flow rates or changed injectors?
Old 05-24-2010, 01:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Stock LQ4, LS6 cam, 2 bar SD HP tuners op system.
The PCM I used with the 5.3 I had in the car and tuned while it was in another. I swapped entire drivetrains... But remade the whole turbo piping, it runs fine cold, runs fine if you make a few passes, but when your running 3000rpms down the interstate for awhile it does this.... kills when you stop or let off it. I dont know how accurate the temp gauge is, seems decent... it went up to 210 which is hotter than normal.

Idle is set at 900 I think.

Im not sure what DFCO is.

How do you know if its in open or closed loop while its stalling? I assume you need to log it while its stalling? I'd rather not get it to the point where it was stalling again.

Flow rates on the injectors havnt changed since injectors were put in 3 years ago... only thing ive messed with from going from the 5.3 to this 6.0 is the VE table and retarded the timing some. I had a bigger cam in the 5.3 so I had to add more fuel down low to get it to idle right.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what are the fuel trims and idle trims doing when you come to a stop when it's about to die?

also, 900rpm is way high for that tiny cam, i've had it idle at 550 smooth as butter.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DFCO is deceleration fuel cut off. Its cuts the injectors off when you take you foot off the gas when decelerating to save you gas. Lower your idle as said above 900 would be ok if you had a bigger cam 550-600 is good. Also check your stall saver settings in your idle>idle rpm section. I would download a z06 file for a 2003 vette and use those settings for both your idle speed in stall saver settings. Your can find the DFCO settings under fuel control>fuel cut off tabs. Those shouldn’t interfere with your idle obviously. Also set your stall rpm accordingly. If your ve is correct and its still stalls you can add to your throttle cracker which is under idle>idle air flow but only add a little at a time. Check and make sure your CAT over temp protection is disabled. This can cause it to lean out. Its under fuel control>COT,lean cruise. Record your IAT’s and coolant temps while logging to see where the problem happens.

Quick Reply: IAT heat soak make idle lean? HP Tuners