TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default scan tool input.

Any one ever play with this scan tool?
Old 01-12-2004, 08:03 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

looks nice. i prefer efi live though being ls1/ls6 specific.
Old 01-13-2004, 01:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Ya but comparing it to auto tap I can get BOTH the pc version and the palm version for less then $200.oo. I wanted to know if anyone has played with it and what its sampling rate was.
Old 01-13-2004, 08:46 PM
wrencher

The sampling rate from the PCM is constant class II data transfer at 10.4 kilobits per second.
All tools are goverened by this.
Old 01-13-2004, 09:16 PM
TECH Resident

If you look at their webpage again you will notice it is designed as OBD-II scan ner, meaning it only understands "generic" parameters so it will work all OBD-II cars but it does not also support GM's enhanced mode which is about 200 parameters and not only about 40 that generic supports.

These scanners would then miss most of the important functions since the scanner does not understand GM codes and so you would be able to see all car functions and you would not be able to scan or record those of GM parameters.

As to transfer rates, 10.4K, that is only true for generic OBD-II as per SAE but a decent scanner like the one from Ease functions either at SAE rate or at VPW baud rate which is much faster (4x) then other laptop PCM scanners that support some of GM parameters but not all PCM and body/chassis parameters.
Old 01-13-2004, 09:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got an EASE scanner, and like it so far. It has bidirectional controls, but I havent got into them yet. Graphing is great, as you can line up all the graphs to see where kr rpm and timing takes place at one point. I got it for 170.00 from ease through ebay.
Old 01-14-2004, 12:04 AM
TECH Junkie

I know its not as good as Atap but what if I could get the PC version AND the palm version for less than $200.oo? I always have have a palm strapped to my hip, and I would use the PC at the track. The most important things (only things) I would want to watch is the 02 and KR when under nitrous. Make sure Im not hurting anything. Right now Im flying blind, and only using a small 60 shot, with an eye on things I would be able to double the shot with some confidence.
Old 01-14-2004, 01:32 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Team ZR-1
As to transfer rates, 10.4K, that is only true for generic OBD-II as per SAE but a decent scanner like the one from Ease functions either at SAE rate or at VPW baud rate which is much faster (4x) then other laptop PCM scanners that support some of GM parameters but not all PCM and body/chassis parameters.
Just wondering how things like Inst clusters, BCM's feel about this 4x mode data flying around as they would no longer be getting 'normal' mode messages from the PCM which occur at 1x or does Ease switch all modules to 4x mode?.

Please enlighten.....
Old 01-14-2004, 12:56 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Fetumpsh
Just wondering how things like Inst clusters, BCM's feel about this 4x mode data flying around as they would no longer be getting 'normal' mode messages from the PCM which occur at 1x or does Ease switch all modules to 4x mode?.

Please enlighten.....
Ease allows you to set overall speed to 1,2,3, or 4x and also each PID can be set to how often it's values are polled.
This allows as an example water temps only be polled lets say once a second but O2s polled every 25 mSec while the CAN interface to CAN network function at VPW speed.
Being Ease allows like 50 plus PIDs to concurrently be polled I would not set all of them to 4x mode with fast polling for then as you mention your flooding the CAN network with OBD-II data while engine is under high load but at lower speeds or idle its not a issue so maybe using 2 or 3x mode would be better for that engine condition.

Scanning lets say 25 PIDs concurrently at 4x is not a issue for its the way Ease packages the requests.

Ease has already designed and now comes with its scanner the new CAN interface required for the new next gen PCMs GM is already using and be required for OBD-III and its speed is like 500 Kb/s on GMLAN network and 83K at the ADLC path so having done that Ease could use some of that logic to speed up its OBD-II traffic.

I have used the 4x mode for several months with no ill issues with other nodes on CAN network so when its needed you can set each PID for 1 to 40 frames per second.

With the new Ease interface already supporting the new GMLAN the interface can be used directly to car where older interfaces only supporting OBD-II would require a CANdi interface be installed between the car and scanner.
Old 01-14-2004, 10:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Team ZR-1
Ease allows you to set overall speed to 1,2,3, or 4x and also each PID can be set to how often it's values are polled.
Oh OK, I though you were referring to the SAE J1850 defined speeds 10.4Kbs(1x) and 41.6Kbs (4x).