Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 pcm.... searched and searched

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 03:23 AM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Default 98 pcm.... searched and searched

Ok guys. If you got nothing nice to say dont say it at all.

I just bought a 98 camaro and I have always heard that these cars pcms
suck *** and blah blah blah... Just No one has ever been able to say why EXACTLY.

I never plan on boosting this motor so the custom os is not a concern ( I have efi live anyways so its not a option either way).

What is the problems with it? Does it lack resolution or something and is this really that much of a concern... cuz most have few issues tuning with megasquirt.

I plan on something like shaved 243's and MAYBE something similar to a ms3 (but not sure... bit much for a daily).

I guess just give me the dirt on the 97-98 pcm's. Search hasn't turned up enough for me to convince myself to go to to 99+

Thanks guys.....
Old 06-05-2010, 04:41 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They're total junk, cost you HP, and burn up without warning JK
The newer PCM's have more tables to tune and are built around a better architecture, and are less prone to have issues, when flashing them. The newer PCM's are a lot more supported, since they're are so many of them out there. You can easily find starter tunes for a lot more combinations, then you can for the older ones. The newer ones are also smaller and lighter, so replacing it will get rid of a few ounces of front end wait for you. That all being said, I wouldn't replace the old style with the newer one, unless it was broke (they're very hard to find and costly) or I need some of the extra tuning table or wanted to go with a COS
Old 06-28-2010, 01:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering the same thing. I have a 98 LS1, t56 and pcm out of a 98 Camaro and hear that that 99 and later pcm's are better. They are cheap enough off ebay. My question is can I use a 99 pcm with my 98 harness? Are they compatible? It's probably not a plug and play setup. Or is it? If they are smaller then that will help my situation as well. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:20 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by bmwguru
I was wondering the same thing. I have a 98 LS1, t56 and pcm out of a 98 Camaro and hear that that 99 and later pcm's are better. They are cheap enough off ebay. My question is can I use a 99 pcm with my 98 harness? Are they compatible? It's probably not a plug and play setup. Or is it? If they are smaller then that will help my situation as well. Thanks in advance.

The harness needs to have the terminals at the PCM connector re-arranged:
http://gmtuning.info/wiki/index.php/98PCM
Old 06-28-2010, 01:37 PM
Banned

You also need to swap the fuel segment out with one from an Express van, if you want the fuel gauge to work. The 99 and newer PCMs sent the signal up the Class 2 data buss, the 98 has a wire going directly to the gauge from the PCM. If anybody needs the OS to do this as a bin file (its a 2002 F-body tune, with the segment swap already done, for a 12200411 PCM, , but it should also work in the 99 /2000 PCM), I can send it to you as either a stock LS1 M6 or A4.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:47 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by poconojoe
You also need to swap the fuel segment out with one from an Express van, if you want the fuel gauge to work. The 99 and newer PCMs sent the signal up the Class 2 data buss, the 98 has a wire going directly to the gauge from the PCM. If anybody needs the OS to do this as a bin file (its a 2002 F-body tune, with the segment swap already done, for a 12200411 PCM, , but it should also work in the 99 /2000 PCM), I can send it to you as either a stock LS1 M6 or A4.
Hey Joe (In my best Hendrix voive LOL) can you email it to me? Sounds like a file I'd like to have in my library.

edcmat-l1@msn.com is my email.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:17 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
Hey Joe (In my best Hendrix voive LOL) can you email it to me? Sounds like a file I'd like to have in my library.

edcmat-l1@msn.com is my email.

Hey Ed,

Doug S. posted some public swapped files for this application here: http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showpo...6&postcount=42