Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Voltage issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 08:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Voltage issue

Not really sure what section this belongs in so if it needs to be moved please move. To begin my battery is in the back using taylor battery cable and I even ran my ground using welding cable from the battery all the way up to the motor. With the car on I'm seeing ~14 volts at the battery and the same at the post on the fuse boxes in the engine bay. However, my stock voltmeter and my Aeroforce gauge are showing right around 13 volts.

The reason I'm posting this is because I was having a starting issue where I would try to start the car and I could just hear the starter click. I would have to try several times before it would eventually turn on. In the past few days I have installed a new starter and a new battery. This has made this issue almost non existent but it still does the clicking noise maybe 2 out of 10 starts. Earlier I was checking some stuff out and with the old battery I was seeing ~14 on both gauges while the car was on. I would then turn the car off and back on with no issues. Now that is has gone down to about 13 while the car is running when I turn the car off and back on I might hear the clicking.

What should the stock system be charging at and why am I not seeing the same amount of volts at the gauges that I'm seeing at the battery and the fuse boxes? It seems like I'm losing some voltage by the time it makes it to the cluster. With my key forward my voltage is anywhere from 11.5-11.7 volts. When it's in that range that seems to be when the car won't start on the first try. As mentioned earlier when the gauges where in the 14 volt range when I would turn the car off and the turn the key forward I was right around 12 volts and had no problem starting the car.

I don't know what changed from the time it was reading 14 volts to it dropping to 13 while running. My old battery up until a few hours ago was red top Optima that had been drained once so I figured it was time to get a new battery. I bought a humongous Sears Diehard Platinum battery with like 930 CC Amps but even after hooking up the new battery it still did it a couple of times.

This issue is starting to get frustrating especially when earlier in the morning I moved my battery ground up to the motor which is when I started seeing the increase in voltage and all of a sudden it dropped later in the day without changing anything.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Carlos
Old 06-08-2010, 09:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Where is your ground located and what size?
Old 06-08-2010, 11:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

The motor is grounded to the stock location in the frame rail using a 2 gauge cable. In the back the battery is grounded with a bolt and nut passing through one of the holes where the metal bumper used to bolt to also with 2 gauge cable. In addition to that I'm running a welding cable which I believe is 0 gauge which runs from the battery all the way up to one of the starter bolts. So the battery is grounded twice and the motor is grounded once.