Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird wiring issue.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Weird wiring issue.

So I tried to pull codes on my car and the code reader wouldnt work. I started checking wiring and I found that behind the OBD II port on my car 2 wires were pulled out of the back of it and twisted together. (I havent had the car very long) Well I untwisted the wires and re-pinned them and put them back in the port and tried to start the car and when I turned the key on, all my gauges went nuts and the car wouldnt start. I got a paper clip and put in the two holes of the OBD II port that I just re pinned and the car acted completely normal again and started up just fine. I did some research on the wires and one is a ground and the other is the "data" wire. What is going on with that?
Old 06-15-2010, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

No one?
Old 06-15-2010, 08:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like you have a weird short some where try turning the ignition on and have the two wires just hanging out not touching the connector or each other what happens?
Old 06-16-2010, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ls1whip
sounds like you have a weird short some where try turning the ignition on and have the two wires just hanging out not touching the connector or each other what happens?
All the gauges read crazy. Some will be maxed out and others not doing anything. The car will turn over but never crank. Also if you pull the spark plugs out and hood them up to the wire and turn the ignition on, they will just spark 1 time and its the weakest spark ive ever seen. after that it doesnt do anything. The motor will be turning over and I will get no spark. I will get fuel pressure. Its almost a total shut down of the ignition system. The parking lights will come on and stay on (including the blinkers) and just stay on and never flash. They will light up on the dash too but never blink. Its like the whole car freaks out. The second you touch the 2 wires together its like nothing was ever wrong.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a grounds issue. If this is a stock harness there are multiple grounds on the car. Some will cause issues like you are saying. I think one of those wires is supposed to be a ground anyway and it may not be grounded when it is not together. Look at a diagram and see where it is supposed to come from. On the 4th gen cars there is are big grounds on both sides of the interior harness. The BCM does wierd stuff if they are not properly grounded....
Old 06-16-2010, 05:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Where can I get the wiring diagram for my car?