PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Tunner in Michigan

Old 06-20-2010, 09:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Tunner in Michigan

I want to get a real good pro dyno tune! Who is the best in Michigan?
Old 06-20-2010, 09:50 PM
On The Tree

Livernois motorsports has a great rep but will charge you A LOT.
What kind of car? Mods?
Old 06-21-2010, 10:50 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Engineered Victories (EVI)

http://www.engineeredvictories.com/
Old 06-22-2010, 11:29 PM
11 Second Club

I need a tune to and any help would be great
Old 06-24-2010, 09:21 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I would recommend Livernois.They are top notch.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:03 PM
Launching!

Livernois hands down. Worth the money to have one of the best if not the best tuners in the country tune it...
Old 06-25-2010, 07:50 AM
On The Tree

Livernois pretty much invented alot of the tuning stuff out there. Most of the guys are ex-gm/ford calibrators.

Edited - Do NOT solicit tuning work from members here! -unit

Last edited by unit213; 06-26-2010 at 07:50 AM.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:12 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by darkhorizon
Livernois pretty much invented alot of the tuning stuff out there. Most of the guys are ex-gm/ford calibrators.

I do "bring your own tuner" tuning in the Flint area for cheap. Specialize in SD and turbo tuning.
The only way you can "do it for cheap" is because you are allowed to sidestep (by this board) all the formalities that established organizations have to deal with. Insurance, taxes, advertising, bla, bla, bla.

"""Livernois is waaay overpriced!!!!! No value or experience-just straight up rip off!"""" Yeah right.

Easy words to type by any Johnny come lately and easily scooped up by noobs as gospel in light of nobody policing the asylum.

Really tired of this.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:48 PM
8 Second Club

Received 944 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by unit213
I would recommend Livernois.They are top notch.
Originally Posted by 88ls1blazer
Livernois hands down. Worth the money to have one of the best if not the best tuners in the country tune it...
Livernois does good mechanical work, but as far as tuning goes... I'm not impressed.

My experience with Livernois resulted in a shoddy tune and a car that was downright dangerous to drive. They "supposedly" spent two days tuning my car and couldn't get it right, then sent updates via internet and it only got worse. It was so bad that when I picked my car up from Livernois my car shut off within two minutes because the idle surge was so bad on a cam they installed. It also self drove, revs would hang, and it would cut off on the 1-2 shift from time to time, trans tune was junk, just a real pain in the butt car to live with.

Others that had work done by Livernois had to put up with their lack of tuning ability for almost a year, they just kept stringing people along selling them parts they didn't need and adjusting the tune but never getting it right. Livernois is quick to blame tuning errors on hard parts...

I gave Livernois almost three months to get my car right... they never did so I cut my losses and moved on. I had to purchase a new ECM since Livernois locks the one they tune, but that was a small price to pay to get rid of all the problems. I took my car to RPM in Delaware and they fixed everything, it was all the tune they didn't touch anything mechanical. RPM fixed all the problems I was experiencing with an HPtuners basemap and then after a few pulls gained almost 40whp and gobs of tq in the process! They fixed a few other Livernois cars in the last few months, always gaining hp/tq and improving driveability. Vector Motorsports has had to fix numerous Livernois vehicles as well.

When I brought this up on another forum my PM box filled up with notes from people with similar experiences.... not a good sign!
Old 06-26-2010, 07:45 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN
Livernois does good mechanical work, but as far as tuning goes... I'm not impressed.

My experience with Livernois resulted in a shoddy tune and a car that was downright dangerous to drive. They "supposedly" spent two days tuning my car and couldn't get it right, then sent updates via internet and it only got worse. It was so bad that when I picked my car up from Livernois my car shut off within two minutes because the idle surge was so bad on a cam they installed. It also self drove, revs would hang, and it would cut off on the 1-2 shift from time to time, trans tune was junk, just a real pain in the butt car to live with.

Others that had work done by Livernois had to put up with their lack of tuning ability for almost a year, they just kept stringing people along selling them parts they didn't need and adjusting the tune but never getting it right. Livernois is quick to blame tuning errors on hard parts...

I gave Livernois almost three months to get my car right... they never did so I cut my losses and moved on. I had to purchase a new ECM since Livernois locks the one they tune, but that was a small price to pay to get rid of all the problems. I took my car to RPM in Delaware and they fixed everything, it was all the tune they didn't touch anything mechanical. RPM fixed all the problems I was experiencing with an HPtuners basemap and then after a few pulls gained almost 40whp and gobs of tq in the process! They fixed a few other Livernois cars in the last few months, always gaining hp/tq and improving driveability. Vector Motorsports has had to fix numerous Livernois vehicles as well.

When I brought this up on another forum my PM box filled up with notes from people with similar experiences.... not a good sign!

One thing I've learned in this industry is that there is always two sides to the story and that customers often don't post the complete story. I know the guys at Livernois personally, including their tuner, and nothing you've posted seems legit to me. Dan Millen does all of their tuning and he's literally one of the best in the business...both from a tuning standpoint and when it comes to winning races and championships. You don't get to that level without knowing what you're doing. Tuning basic cars like ours is child's play. It's tuning 101 for a guy with a (figurative) PhD in the tuning business.

Sorry to hear about your personal experience, but you sir are in the minority. No question about it.

Let me ask you a question...how do you think one gets to this level? Because they can't tune a simple bolt on LSx car? Mmmmm....no.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFHquTIPI2k

Last edited by unit213; 06-26-2010 at 07:52 AM.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:01 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You've got to be carefull saying -fastest cars and best tuners. I really don't know the tuners listed above and they could very well be very good but I've worked with tuners that run record setting cars.They tune idle and WOT but some of them have no idea about part throttle and getting a car to cruise right.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:25 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
You've got to be carefull saying -fastest cars and best tuners. I really don't know the tuners listed above and they could very well be very good but I've worked with tuners that run record setting cars.They tune idle and WOT but some of them have no idea about part throttle and getting a car to cruise right.
You don't crank put a thousand tunes annually and continue to run a successful shop by having part throttle tuning issues, but point taken. I do know the tuners above and I've had my stuff done there for 10+ years now.

Last edited by unit213; 06-26-2010 at 10:56 AM.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:34 PM
8 Second Club

One thing I've learned in this industry is that there is always two sides to the story and that customers often don't post the complete story. I know the guys at Livernois personally, including their tuner, and nothing you've posted seems legit to me. Dan Millen does all of their tuning and he's literally one of the best in the business...both from a tuning standpoint and when it comes to winning races and championships. You don't get to that level without knowing what you're doing. Tuning basic cars like ours is child's play. It's tuning 101 for a guy with a (figurative) PhD in the tuning business.

Sorry to hear about your personal experience, but you sir are in the minority. No question about it.

Let me ask you a question...how do you think one gets to this level? Because they can't tune a simple bolt on LSx car? Mmmmm....no.
Like I said I don't doubt they do good mechanical work and the tuning issues are probably a rare case. But I can assure you that's what happened to me and those I know that went there. My engine work has held up great, no complaints there but for me and those that I know that have gone there the tuning has been less then satisfactory.

They blamed my problems on the cam, on vacuum leaks, broken parts, you name it, meanwhile I kept insisting it was the tune but they wouldn't believe me! They even made me buy replacement parts because they couldn't tune the car. One other little thing that bugged me was that I asked all stock parts to be returned to me, which I never received.

Your entitled to your opinion of them and I don't expect you to agree with me but that's my experience, I sure wish it was better. Believe me when I set out to find someone to do my heads, cam, converter, etc.. I was excited to have Livernois work on my vehicle due to their reputation, size, etc.. but when I picked my car up and it ran like poo that reputation changed in my mind. I really wish I could say that I was the only one but the more and more people I talk too the more I find people moved on to other shops because of problems.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN
Like I said I don't doubt they do good mechanical work and the tuning issues are probably a rare case. But I can assure you that's what happened to me and those I know that went there. My engine work has held up great, no complaints there but for me and those that I know that have gone there the tuning has been less then satisfactory.

They blamed my problems on the cam, on vacuum leaks, broken parts, you name it, meanwhile I kept insisting it was the tune but they wouldn't believe me! They even made me buy replacement parts because they couldn't tune the car. One other little thing that bugged me was that I asked all stock parts to be returned to me, which I never received.

Your entitled to your opinion of them and I don't expect you to agree with me but that's my experience, I sure wish it was better. Believe me when I set out to find someone to do my heads, cam, converter, etc.. I was excited to have Livernois work on my vehicle due to their reputation, size, etc.. but when I picked my car up and it ran like poo that reputation changed in my mind. I really wish I could say that I was the only one but the more and more people I talk too the more I find people moved on to other shops because of problems.
I've got your back on this too. I took my car to get tuned there as well, they kept my car for two days saying they tuned the whole thing up and down. Even did street driving and saying they adjusted the fueling, idle, etc etc etc... The first thing my car did when I went to back it out of the parking space AT livernois...it stalled LMAO! Continued to have terrible problems with it almost as if it wasn't tuned at all. To sum it up, I just went ahead and spent the money on EFILive, pulled the tune, and the ONLY thing they changed was injector size, some idle (which was WAY OFF), and PE. They had not touched spark OR fueling like they said. Waste of 500bucks. It was a good learning experience, and now I can tune just about anything to run smooth as a kitten
Old 06-27-2010, 08:26 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Haans249
I've got your back on this too. I took my car to get tuned there as well, they kept my car for two days saying they tuned the whole thing up and down. Even did street driving and saying they adjusted the fueling, idle, etc etc etc... The first thing my car did when I went to back it out of the parking space AT livernois...it stalled LMAO! Continued to have terrible problems with it almost as if it wasn't tuned at all. To sum it up, I just went ahead and spent the money on EFILive, pulled the tune, and the ONLY thing they changed was injector size, some idle (which was WAY OFF), and PE. They had not touched spark OR fueling like they said. Waste of 500bucks. It was a good learning experience, and now I can tune just about anything to run smooth as a kitten
Unfortunately that sounds familiar... sucks about the experience but at least you made out in the end!

FYI - They told me the same thing about street driving it and spending two days tuning it. Yet with HPtuners it was running perfect in under an hour... go figure.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:24 AM
Teching In

Dan Millen at Livernois. Yes they are expensive and they take a while, but the results are worth it. I have a 1995 camaro (LT1) with 398 rwhp / 362 rwtq with heads, cam, and an intake that runs beautifully. All the work was done at Livernois by Dom and then tuned by Dan. The shop guys were very impressed with the power my car made. I'm sorry for those of you who had a bad experience, but I couldn't be happier with the way my camaro turned out.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You don't crank put a thousand tunes annually and continue to run a successful shop by having part throttle tuning issues, but point taken. I do know the tuners above and I've had my stuff done there for 10+ years now.
This is not neccesarily aimed at Liver, but speaking on the basic fundamentals of business practices ....

They may crank or put out thousands, but they may have not nailed it down this time... We are all human, and anytime a human is involved there will be some error.... The onous is on the said company to try to appease the customer.... Because I don't care how good you(a business) are or how well you do this or that... If your customers feel took or not happy with the work, it will affect your business and you will not be in business long especially if you get attitudes or aggressive with them... A business is only as good and sucessful as its customers.....

I have seen the businesses, that blame the customer, and "it is always the customers fault" mentality, those guys usually don't stay in business long with that attitude....

The guys who go out of their way to make a customer happy regardless of thousands or just a few, stay in busniess.... They don t rely on a rep from 5 years ago, they work on that rep everyday and treat customers like they are their first.......
Old 06-29-2010, 11:56 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Haans249

This fits in with what you said Haans249:

I know of three people that have taken their cars to Livernois for tuning and had nothing but problems. WOT wasn't to bad but when it came to part throttle and general driving the car was bad (surging/stalling). One took his car to the track and the car fell on it's face. A head and cam car that ran 12.5s (A4 with 3,400 converter) at 110, LOL. The car was tuned pure rich. Took the car over to Dr. Phil in Macomb County and picked up great power. Car went 11.8s and drove great. In addition, Livernois had done almost nothing to the trans program, basically left it near stock.

For everyone that thinks I am just a Livernois basher, untrue. I had them recently do my heads and bought some other parts from them. I was happy with this work. Sometimes companies are just not good at everything. After having 3 people that I know (LS1/LS6 Cars) have bad experiences with tuning it is safe to say there are better places to go for the money. Everyone of these cars went to second tuners and had their cars retuned. All of them were WAY to rich and picked up great power after being retuned. These are people that I know, there are a lot more that you read these types of stories about do a search. Also look over on CamaorZ28.com.

Just My .02

Last edited by Bill'sWS6; 06-29-2010 at 12:02 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:00 PM
Launching!

the question is how long ago... i know hans249 had his car done years and years ago as I have talked to him before and I think it was one of the first LS car's Dan tuned after the final fallout from their previous tuners, but remember, livernois has been around for 12+ years doing this, and it wasn't always Dan tuning they have had quite a few different tuners there that unfortunately earned them a bad reputation. I know they routinely build and tune the fastest g8's, and 2010 camaros yet usually have way less done as far as modifications go.

I know that my car was tuned by 4 different shops before I bought it and Livernois was my 3rd shop that I used. I heard the same stuff about them, but Dan made me a believer plain and simple after spending 20 minutes on the car with a simple base calibration fixed every issue with the car. I then brought it back when I had time for a dyno and he had to change very few things to make it right...

I look at it this way, Livernois tunes way more cars in a year then most shops do in 5 years I am certain that they might have some situations arise due to this volume, but they will always go above and beyond to make you feel special, take care of you, and make certain you are happy. maybe everyone here has dealt with a different regime there than I did, but they have always treated me well...

SLOW_SEDAN I have a feeling there is more to your story, PM me please I am curious as to what went awry as it seems we had almost polar opposite experiences. I went to numerous shops that had stellar reputations and went to Livernois to have the car fixed.

Search this Thread