Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 02:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 98 Camaro

We have a 98 1LE 6 speed LS1 Camaro. Can I swap in a 99+ PCM? If not could you explain why, pin out, hardware, or both?
Old 07-11-2010, 08:47 AM
On The Tree

What are you hoping to accomplish? The 98 PCM is quite tunable unless you're looking to boost the engine.

The PCM swap is do-able, but requires repinning the connectors and also getting a fuel segment swap in the tune to accomdate the 98 fuel gauge.

Bird
Old 07-11-2010, 12:04 PM
Teching In

Default Can't pass smog after returning to stock

Curious as much as anything. Having some trouble with the 98 passing smog here in California after returning everything back to stock.

We pulled the original 100K mile LS1 wrapped it up and set it aside, untouched. Replaced it with as LS3 that was modified. Changed the MAF and injector connectors on the LS1 harness and used an adapter for the cam sensor. Had a problem with the LS3 so decided to reinstall the LS1 for a while. We stored the original tune on the 98 with our HP Tuner before any mods. Now that we have replaced the LS1 we cannot get it to meet the smog levels with the original tune.

Somewhat puzzled. The LS1 engine is in good shape, we have replaced all the original parts and installed the original tune but still can't get it to pass smog. It is not out by a little it is way bad.

I have a couple of 2000 LS1 F body's that fly through smog test so I was checking on the feasibility of swapping PCM's to see what that would get us. Maybe a bad idea but just a thought.

Thanks for your help!
Old 07-12-2010, 12:47 PM
On The Tree

Running 2bar on a friends 98 right now, works fine.

I dont see any reasons it would not work with maf+boost.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:17 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan Broaddus
Curious as much as anything. Having some trouble with the 98 passing smog here in California after returning everything back to stock.

We pulled the original 100K mile LS1 wrapped it up and set it aside, untouched. Replaced it with as LS3 that was modified. Changed the MAF and injector connectors on the LS1 harness and used an adapter for the cam sensor. Had a problem with the LS3 so decided to reinstall the LS1 for a while. We stored the original tune on the 98 with our HP Tuner before any mods. Now that we have replaced the LS1 we cannot get it to meet the smog levels with the original tune.

Somewhat puzzled. The LS1 engine is in good shape, we have replaced all the original parts and installed the original tune but still can't get it to pass smog. It is not out by a little it is way bad.

I have a couple of 2000 LS1 F body's that fly through smog test so I was checking on the feasibility of swapping PCM's to see what that would get us. Maybe a bad idea but just a thought.

Thanks for your help!
Are they doing a sniffer test, or just the plug in test?
If you go with the newer PCM, what are you going to do about the VIN mismatch, doesn't the PCM VIN need to match the vehicle in CA?
Old 07-12-2010, 09:16 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Bryan, in what area are the failures?
Old 07-13-2010, 10:16 PM
Teching In

Joe, I think you're correct. That may be a problem.

Ed,
Fellow Super Stocker! I will look into it tomorrow. It's my nephews car and I haven't seen the numbers. Just trying to help. They ask and I post.
SS/FA 7568
Old 07-13-2010, 10:37 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Bryan, find out why it's failing and pm me on classracer (or email me) and I'll see if I can help. The original computer should be fine. Find out if it has to go on the rollers for the IM240 test, or just plug a scanner in under the dash to check for OBD2 tests completed. If you use a newer PCM (should not need one) I can put his vin in it, or his name in place of the vin if he wants.

Last edited by Ed Wright; 07-14-2010 at 09:33 AM.