PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

key or cylinder (VATS related)

Old 07-14-2010, 02:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default key or cylinder (VATS related)

So yesterday afternoon I go out to start my car and it turns all the electronics on, but it won't start. So I wait several minutes and nothing, wait several more and it fires right up. No issues when shutting it off and restarting a couple more times while running errands after that.

This morning after the car sat overnight with the key dangling from the ignition (i forgot to take the key out at night while it's in the garage) I jumped in and the same thing. I turned everything on, but won't turn the motor over. So I called a friend to help me with some questions/answers, went in cleaned the key with alcohol, tried to clean the cylinder also without much success. Waited a few minutes and it fired right up and hasn't given me any issues since.

I went to get another key since I can't find my spare and the guy said not to waste my time since it's the cylinder. I ask him how he knew and he stated his 94 T/A has done it to him in the past. I said well with out really checking with a meter we're not sure, he said if it's not the key then you're just wasting money. So I ditched the key idea and did some searching on here, but wanted to get another opinion or feedback from others who may know and not just trying to sell me parts and charge me labor without truly knowing.

I can also have my tuner turn the feature off, but is there anything else that needs to be done? (ie, do I still need to jump the wires in the column, etc...)

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:38 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The easiest fix is to unplug the wires for key resister and get the correct value resister and put it across the wires, this eliminates both your key and the switch. Even if you turn the Vats off in the PCM, it still will not crank, since it has an interlock relay hooked to the BCM
Old 07-14-2010, 11:34 PM
On The Tree

Okay, I was afraid of that. I may look at buying the resistor they sell online.

http://www.xdponline.com/index.php?m...b6001c4f2e14fc

Although I would look on Ebay for it at a cheaper rate. I just can't see paying almost $500 to the dealer for parts and labor. I may just end up doing it myself this weekend, but still parts alone a expensive.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Braunbeck
Okay, I was afraid of that. I may look at buying the resistor they sell online.

http://www.xdponline.com/index.php?m...b6001c4f2e14fc

Although I would look on Ebay for it at a cheaper rate. I just can't see paying almost $500 to the dealer for parts and labor. I may just end up doing it myself this weekend, but still parts alone a expensive.
That will not help you if the motor does not crank over, since that module bypasses the Vats in the PCM not the BCM
Measure the resistance of the pellent in the key and get a resister from Radio Shack and disconnect the plug under the collumn and wire the resister across the wires going to the BCM
Old 07-15-2010, 07:16 PM
On The Tree

Okay, so I only need to jump the wires at the base of the column?

It sucks, the car did it again this afternoon. Seems strange, it'll turn everything on, but just won't fire the motor. If I wait the 3 minutes the security light goes off and it starts or atleast that's what it did this afternoon.

I'm assuming the worst that it's the wires and not the key, but who knows at this point in time since I don't know where my spare is.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:01 AM
On The Tree

Pocono or anyone else, reading up on the resistor fix it appears you don't have to cut the harness or can you just jump the connector?
Old 07-17-2010, 06:38 AM
Banned

There is a plug near the base of the column that you can unplug and pu the resister across.

Personally I'd unplug the part going up the column, cut it off the wires and solder the resister across that half of the plug and then plug it back in.
You'll need to measure the resistance of the key pellet to find out the correct value to use.
If you don't disconnect the wire going up the column, you will have issues, since then the key resister and the resister you added will be in parrellel and the value the BCM see will be wrong
Old 07-17-2010, 11:46 AM
On The Tree

I was considering the same thing you mentioned, "cutting the wires leading to the cylinder, solder the resistor in the cut lower part of the wires and plugging the harness back in" that way I don't ruin the wiring harness leading to the BCM or causing any future issues if I want to replace the cylinder and going OE.

Thanks again for the help/advice.

Search this Thread