Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I drive it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 09:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can I drive it?

Hey guys, so i dropped the motor/tranny and put 5.3 tsp stage 2 heads and a Thunder racing 230/224 cam, ls7 lifters, ls2 timing chain, TR pushrods, meling oil pump, powerbond ud pulley, and 3200 stall. and i have 42lb injectors waiting to be installed. now i plan on getting it dyno tuned but i wanna drive it around for about 300 miles to make sure everything is running right and then change the oil. i would also like to drive it to the tuner thats about 15 miles away. the car was tuned when i installed headers and boltons a while back.

now one of my friends says i can have the car on for like 5 mins, but any longer would damage the car. and i would either need the tuner to come to my house or tow it to their shop. is this true or can i drive it for a lil while before a tune? thanks for the help.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You spent a lot of money to build a good engine, why get impatient now and take the chance of leaning it out and damaging it? Just my .02
Old 07-18-2010, 07:54 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't put the injectors in it and start it before the tune! That will wash the rings out! But, if you have the injectors still in the car that match the tune in the PCM, you can start it and even drive it - as long as you are easy on it (i.e. no WOT!)... take the new injectors with you and install them at the tuner.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:07 PM
TECH Resident

you should be ok as long at you baby it. its when you do something stupid that will end up causing problems.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BLK02WS6
Don't put the injectors in it and start it before the tune! That will wash the rings out! But, if you have the injectors still in the car that match the tune in the PCM, you can start it and even drive it - as long as you are easy on it (i.e. no WOT!)... take the new injectors with you and install them at the tuner.
yea i know. exactly why i kept the old injectors still in it.

thanks for the advice guys. hopefully i can get someone to come to my house to tune it. i really dont wanna have to tow it to that shop. we will see.