Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ported vs unported maf

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 09:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default ported vs unported maf

i LONG LONG time ago i ported the maf on my car and my car really liked, gained 6 hp and 4 ftlbs on back to back dynos and my a/f has always been as close to perfect as possible even before tuning

when i was cam only, untuned the a/f was a flat 12.8-12.9 and i was getting about 27 degrees of timing with no KR. when we tuned the car we leveled the a/f out to about 13.0 and bumped the timing up to 29-30 degrees and the car ran great.

well now after adding the heads, i had a chance to dyno with wideband and atap the car. the a/f was lean in the midrange, than leveled out slightly lean, and finally ended around 12.8 (ill post the graph on the bottom of this). the thing wasnt getting full timing either. there was also no KR.

i was wondering if using a stock, unported maf, or a descreened unported maf, would possibly fix the slightly lean condition or the timing condition, or if it is something that will be fixed through tuning only and i should leave the maf alone.

what do you think???

i have also since added a much better exhaust to the car, not sure what that does to a/f or timing, just thought i should add that.

heres the dyno

heres the atap

thanks
ryan
Old 01-22-2004, 08:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what do you have to tune it with? yeah putting stock maf ends will richen it up but i would tune for ported ends.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check your o2 numbers, passenger side reads lean. try out some new o2's maybe?
Old 01-22-2004, 10:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Log your LTFTs. That will tell you if the PCM is adding fuel. Every car I've logged with ported MAF ends had LTFTs between 10 and 20.
Pass side O2s are always leaner on these cars for some reason.