Sponsored by:

Good scan tool???

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 07:22 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good scan tool???

Hey everyone,

I am looking to finally get a good scan tool, and wanted to know which ones people have purchased that they can recommend? I want one to read/delete codes, monitor information, and be able to trigger things on the car (like make the cooling fans come on for example, as I have that P0480 code) Can anyone recommend a scan tool? Thanks!
Old 07-23-2010, 09:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Do you want scan only (with bidirectional ability)...?

PC based or handheld...?

What car...?
Old 07-23-2010, 11:37 PM
TECH Resident

if your looking for a basic reading scanner the ones at autozone work great, you can buy them for cheap and they scan any car that is OBD2 and can also erase codes. (i work there so i use one mult times every day) but if your looking for more of like a diagnostic type tool your going to want a laptop hook up.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:12 AM
On The Tree

laptop programs are cheap by scan tool means. however not every program will allow you to control differnt paramiters such as the cooling fans. you will have to do a little research on differnet ones to see what they can and cant do exactly. i was thinking about getting pcmscan.com's mid grade one for my side work at home.

if your wanting to spend a pretty penny then i would look into the strap-on solus scanner or the vantage. both are very good tools.

you get what you pay for!
Old 07-26-2010, 03:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

If you want bidirectional ability in a PC based scantool, might take a look at autoenginuity (with GM Enhanced)...
if pcmscan does bidir for cheaper then have a look at that.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:47 AM
Teching In

To be honest, I'm just learning about this myself. It's for my 2000 Trans Am, but it would be nice to be able to use on a 2007 Ford Fusion too. I just have the ABS Inop light on, the P0480 code, and the service manual says to use a scan tool to command the fans on as diagnosis.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PCMScan is one of the more popular scanners. They advertise that they are the #1 laptop scanner in the world. Price is reasonable and built on the ELM327 platform. There are tons of others that run on that platform also.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:42 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I use the nemisys

http://www.nemisysotc.com/

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 07-26-2010, 03:57 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Our scanner works on most OBD2 vehicles including GM, Ford, Chrysler, has bi directional controls for many applications and has upgrade paths to full tuning suites as well.

www.hptuners.com

-Bill
Old 07-26-2010, 07:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you want a bidirectional handheld that can do PCM, ABS and IPC, then there are some cheap (relatively speaking) Genisys System 3's on ebay...

This is probably overkill unless you own several cars (it also does BCM and TPM and other modules on non-F-body).

If you don't care to have bidirectional ability, then the Nemisys (mentioned by SDPC above) is good and compact with a big screen.

Last edited by joecar; 07-26-2010 at 07:14 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:21 PM
Launching!

Anyone using OBDlink? Seems like it would be good if all you wanted was to check and clear trouble codes and have data logging and dashboard capabilities.

Last edited by Patrick G; 07-27-2010 at 07:29 AM. Reason: non-sponsor link removed
Old 07-28-2010, 03:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

If you're thinking that you will want to learn to tune and/or edit your calibration (e.g. fan temps, axle ratio), then you should look at HPtuners and EFILive, they both have a very capable scantool that integrate with the tunetool.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by joecar
If you're thinking that you will want to learn to tune and/or edit your calibration (e.g. fan temps, axle ratio), then you should look at HPtuners and EFILive, they both have a very capable scantool that integrate with the tunetool.
True but hes wanting to scan his Ford ABS & possibly other systems other than engine. I am not so sure a program like HPTuners will get into those other areas. I personally use the Snap On Solus & the GM Tech2 & have for years. The Solus isnt cheap, $4k from Snap On but used ones sell on ebay from $1k to $3k. Its not perfect but is a very well rounded scanner that does other systems like ABS, body & airbag fairly well. I have heard Autoenginuity does very well for the price, has some bidirectional controls but I have no experience with it so I dont know much about their coverage. Either way, you get what you pay for when buying a vehicle scanner.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Oh, I forgot about him mentioning Ford ABS...

I have Autoenginuity, it works ok, it does do bidir mode on all modules (with the particular OEM enhanced option)... but the laptop is cumbersome... it's much easier/quicker to use a handheld scantool... the AE software user interface takes a little getting used to, and it is easier with a mouse rather than the touch pad.

I picked up a new Genisys for cheap... after you get used to diving deep down thru the menu's it's pretty good, it displays any combination of text/graph/gauge/zoomed; it does do bidir mode on all modules; Nemisys is like a physically smaller version of Genisys without bidir mode;

Autoenginuity and Genisys/Nemisys show Mode $06 data which can be useful when figuring out why a particular DTC triggered.

Autoenginuity is about $250 plus $200 for each OEM enhanced option; or the Pro Bundle (all OEM's) is $1400.

Genisys is about $1300 for a new one of the older style, or about $500 used, but you have to watch what year model revision it is up to.

It all comes down to what you want to see/control and how much it's worth to you.

You would use these for diagnosis/repairs, not for tuning.

Last edited by joecar; 07-29-2010 at 10:52 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:29 PM
Teching In

Wow, thanks for all the recommendations! I'm really not looking to tune or modify the PCM at all, I just have the ABS Inop light and the P0480 fan code on my 2000 T/A on right now. I have completed the troubleshooting with the P0480 code as much as I can without a scan tool. My Helms guide tells me to use a scan tool to manually turn on the fans and this is the feature I am looking for. I just figured with my wife having a 2007 Ford Fusion, it would be nice to have a tool that would work on that car as well.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

MY snapon scannerMT2500 will do all that if you have the latest programmable cartridge. They no longer support that model so they are pretty cheap on ebay.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 412 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by joecar
If you want bidirectional ability in a PC based scantool, might take a look at autoenginuity (with GM Enhanced)...
if pcmscan does bidir for cheaper then have a look at that.
Joecar, I was looking into the autoenginuity enhanced versions. Have you tried it on other vehicals besides GM?

FWIW I looked into the pcscan software and it just that. Only Software. You have to buy one of the supported interfaces to hook up to a vehical. It also does not mention any Bidrectional capabilitys. It looks to only be able to veiw data, log data, and Reset Trouble codes.

Its funny, we have been looking to upgrade our scan tool equipment at work but have been unable to find a good generic tool with bidrectional capabilitys.

OTC = I dont even want to get started on the Issues with there products... I am not the only one who's had issues with them. Its well documented if you search the net.

Snap On didn't even support mode 6 missfires on fords untill a few months ago when the they released the 10.2 update. They still don't have any one who can come out and demo there product's in our area, and they don't even know what the full capabilitys of the tool are other then whats on there brochure or in the catalog. The funny thing is there tool is the most expensive on the market.

I have been looking into the Bosch's VCI Mastertech Also. That is the same as GM's MDI Pass through but has Generic software for all makes. Bosch told me I can purchase a liscence through Toyota to use there Techstream software. Gm will do the same with there GDS software as soon as they release it to the aftermarket. Ford is discontinuing The VCM and is rumored to be going to Bosches VCI platform How ever nothing has been mentioned publicly yet.

I had the Autoboss 3100 from SPX demoed and it was very dissapointing. First off He wanted to show me the laptop software version instead of the handheld which I later found out why. The Bidrectional capabilitys that it supposed to have didnt work. When He was done I asked to see the Hand held unit. I powered it up and attempted to use it but it was so slow and even more of a dissapointment I Gave it back after 5 minutes.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I replaced my steering wheel with a newer stock one and now the airbag is lit. I have Autotap but it doesn't reset airbags. I did search the forums and it appears only the dealership can reset it.

Does anyone know which brand scan tool will reset airbags?
Old 08-14-2010, 06:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 412 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by gm02ceta
I replaced my steering wheel with a newer stock one and now the airbag is lit. I have Autotap but it doesn't reset airbags. I did search the forums and it appears only the dealership can reset it.

Does anyone know which brand scan tool will reset airbags?
Try disconecting the the battery for 10 minutes. If that doesn't work and If your willing to travel, I can reset it for you. I am right off the 405 FWY.

Quick Reply: Good scan tool???