Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible MAF problems...

Old 08-01-2010, 07:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible MAF problems...

Guys,
What kind of symptoms would you expect to see with a bad MAF sensor? I'm chasing a popping in the exhaust at higher rpms and full throttle. Anything less than full throttle will pull cleanly up through the rpm range. Give it full throttle and it starts popping out of the exhaust. The car in question is a '00 SS with a stock 130,000 mi. long block, LTs, ORY, Borla exhaust, SLP MAF, NGK TR55s, MSD wires, and a K & N FIPK. I've replaced the o2s, plugs, and wires. I did check the fuel pressure and, at an idle, it's holding 58 lbs. I haven't checked it at full throttle, however.
I'm new to these cars, so if I'm overlooking something obvious, go easy on me!! Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated!!
Thanks in advance...
Old 08-01-2010, 07:57 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First thing I would do is clean it with some MAF cleaner... oil from the K&N has been known to throw them off. Do you know anyone you can borrow their sensor and see if it goes away? Or get someone to log it and see what the signal is doing...
Old 08-01-2010, 10:27 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the reply!
I did try cleaning it with some MAF spray cleaner. I can try to clean it again to see if that would help. I don't know anyone that I could borrow one from. I may be able to get it logged; I'll have to ask a buddy if his diagnostic machine can do this.
Two more stupid questions: Is a Predator capable of logging this, and do you have to re-tune when you replace the MAF?
Old 08-02-2010, 05:25 AM
9 Second Club

Predator can log it, but since it is live data with no graph, it is hard to see what it is doing... If you are replacing a stock MAF with another stock MAF, you do not have to retune.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:13 AM
Staging Lane

OK, thanks for the info.
My MAF is an SLP brand. If I replace it with something other than an SLP unit, then I'd have to re-tune it?
Thanks again for your help!!
Almost forgot to add; I noticed that this problem also occurred at a little less than full throttle this morning on the way to work. So that changes my ideas a little.

Last edited by nx346; 08-02-2010 at 08:53 AM. Reason: forgot to add info
Old 08-02-2010, 09:27 PM
Staging Lane

Well, thought I'd post up what happened this evening. I cleaned the MAF again and, this time, I hosed that thing down good with cleaner. I also attached a fuel pressure gauge and drove it with the gauge attached. It held 59 lbs. @ idle and dropped to 55 lbs. @ 5000-up rpms, but the popping is gone. I can only assume that the MAF was still dirty and causing the problem. I ran it up thru the gears several times and it pulled cleanly each time. I'll continue to monitor the situation, but hopefully it's fixed.
Thanks again for your help!!
Old 08-03-2010, 05:31 AM
9 Second Club

No problem - glad you got it straight!

Search this Thread