PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would like to learn how to tune.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 09:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would like to learn how to tune.

I would like to learn how to tune cars, but i dont know howto get started. I was told that there is a school that will teach you I thnink its "SAMs" and it is supposed to be for one weekend. Can someone please help me out with some advice? Or if someone would like to show me i am in south texas and would pay someone for the help. Also what is the best program ("easiest to learn")?
Old 08-16-2010, 09:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I have heard that the tuning school is the way to go.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

www.thetuningschool.com

excellent men there
Old 08-17-2010, 11:02 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Here's a link to a great book that'll help get you started quickly, easily, and inexpensively!

http://www.masportspeedshop.com/serv...-tuning/Detail

We sell the HP Tuners software as well if you don't have it and offer a deal if you buy the book and the software as a package.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dan@masportspeedshop
Here's a link to a great book that'll help get you started quickly, easily, and inexpensively!

We sell the HP Tuners software as well if you don't have it and offer a deal if you buy the book and the software as a package.
+1

I'm just finishing up reading this book, and can tell ya for sure that it's worth MUCH more than the $60 I paid. Get it, and you'll have a solid foundation for tuning. Notice I stated FOUNDATION, as I'm sure there are many "secrets of the trade" that you will only learn through experience. That said, I'm looking forward to tuning my FFI car myself. This book really expliains the concepts/procedures in an easy-to-understand manner. I don't think that you will regret getting this book...I know I don't.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:23 PM
On The Tree

Hey Dan can you pm me with a price for the HP and the book. Does HP have a "safe mode" so that i would not blow up the motor. What about a DVD or something like that for tuning.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 for Dan's book. I picked it up a few weeks ago and it gives more detail than one of the popular DVDs being sold.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Streetracer361
Hey Dan can you pm me with a price for the HP and the book. Does HP have a "safe mode" so that i would not blow up the motor. What about a DVD or something like that for tuning.
It's a car, not MS Windows lol....so no, there is no "safe" mode. However, the concepts and procedures outlined are VERY thorough. If you pay attention, use the book as a reference and aren't in a huge hurry...I believe you'll be fine. Just consider the fact that if tuning were simple, fast, and easily done...EVERYONE would be doing it. This book DOES go a long way to make it relatively easy....but still time consuming.

Things you'll need:

-HP Tuners Pro
-A quality wide-band o2 sensor (I like Innovate)
-Time

Once you've got it where you want it from data-logging, and then adjusting....you'll probably want to secure some dyno time to get it perfect.

Just click the link previously posted to get the book.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:13 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the help guys, who has the best deals on the HP Tuner Pro. Also what would be a good wide-band o2 sensor. With the Hp would it let you tune all cars or just some?
Old 08-18-2010, 04:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A few friends and I were talking about this last night. I might be interested as well.

How much for the package deal? PM if you dont want it out in public.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:44 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Package deal is just as on our website, $679.99 + $11.95 for fully insured shipping...

http://www.masportspeedshop.com/serv...ter-EFI/Detail

Basically if you buy HP Tuners from us, our package deal gives you 25% off the price of the book. Simple and easy.

And thanks to everyone for the kind words regarding the book! I truly appreciate it, and I'm glad it helps.
Cheers,
Dan
Old 08-19-2010, 04:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 on Dan's package.

Very inexpensive, super fast shipping and he is a very professional seller. I wouldn't buy anywhere else.

Cheers
Old 08-20-2010, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Almost makes me want to buy EFI Connections opti eliminator system and learn with the LSX pcm. But not for a combined total upwards of $2680!
Old 08-21-2010, 08:17 AM
Staging Lane

Another school is www.efi101.com that I'm wanting to go do too.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

what I like in the tuning school is they cover how HP Tuner sees your PCM. The concepts of tuning have a similar process, but the PCMs look slightly differant from car to car to trucks. At the tuning school after you move from the classroom to the dyno, you may work on a C5, C6, G8, GTO, F body, a truck, so you get alot of differant looks at PCMs.

A 1998 F-body PCM look very differant from a 2010 Corvette. 2010 C6 looks differant from a 2010 Camaro to a 2010 Silverado. Get as much exposeure as you can to learn the most.

A book ( and I read several of them ) didnt do that for me

If you purchase HPT, Id be happy to help you if you get stuck on something, but better than that, If you purchase through the tuning school, they give you a year of help line assistance. Yes, your tuning along happy as can be and not sure what to do, Ian or Bob will be there on the phone working you through it.

good luck finding that in another book by a tuner
Old 08-21-2010, 03:55 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Me too OP. I don't have the allotted time however with me being military. I would probably get that book from MASPORTS just to learn more of the basics and such. I already have the HPTuners Pro and looking for excellent wide band after my heads and cam project.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:06 PM
On The Tree

What tunning school would that be, Dan at MSS. I will be geting the book on pay day.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

The only book they sell on the HP Tuners website !

Go to HP Tuners and look under products.

Nothing is cheap, but you will learn how to tune.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:37 AM
On The Tree

Could someone please explain what they mean by 8 credits. Does this mean i can only do 8 cars before I have to buy a new one, or does it mean i can only save 8 tunes at a time.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

The plan you are looking at comes with 8 credits. You use up 2 credits per car you work on.

If you have a Gen 3 car, you can use up 6 credits to work on the same year and model car. Example you can use up 6 credits and work on all 2000 camaros'

Then Gen 4 cars still use 2 credits, but if you want to license for all 2010 camaros, it will cost you 12 credits.

Its not a cheap game to play.