PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buy Tuning software, or have it done by a pro?

Old 09-15-2010, 04:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buy Tuning software, or have it done by a pro?

Im debating whether or not not get my car tuned at a shop or to do it myself. Im not too thrilled about handing over 600 dollars for someone to tune my car when I can buy the software for 500 and tune it whenever I want to. I installed a new cam so a tune is necessary, but I plan on putting new gears in my car in a few months, so Ill have to get it tuned again. Is tuning really that difficult, or can i do it myself?
Old 09-15-2010, 06:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

you have one of the best shops in the country near you.
the vette doctors.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:30 AM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandit2000
Im debating whether or not not get my car tuned at a shop or to do it myself. Im not too thrilled about handing over 600 dollars for someone to tune my car when I can buy the software for 500 and tune it whenever I want to. I installed a new cam so a tune is necessary, but I plan on putting new gears in my car in a few months, so Ill have to get it tuned again. Is tuning really that difficult, or can i do it myself?
HPtuners Pro, which I have is pretty simple for basic changes such as what you mentioned, gear change however it gets really complicated when you start doing internal engine change as the engine acts drastically different. It's not an easy feat but its doable if you have the time to study and learn. You will need also a reliable wideband accessory for the tuning software. I don't have the time to scan, fiddle and study the parameters to tune my car so I'm hiring a professional tuner and hopefully learn in the process.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:34 PM
Staging Lane

well i think ol tommy wong up here in the northwest will be tuning my car for the simple fact of what you just said in that post i just dont have the time to sit down and study the paramaters.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:40 PM
TECH Regular

Pay someone to do it. I bought HP Tuners, a new lap top, a new wideband and tried to learn and read and study about how to tune, i ended up forking over the money for someone to do it for me.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:53 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was happy to start tuning on my own after my tuner had issues tuning my combo(one of the best in the north east) looking back I should've just bought it up front as it would've saved me nearly $600.

Sometimes it just takes that nudge I suppose...

-Bill
Old 09-15-2010, 05:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Buy a program and do it yourself. You can pay people to do remote tunes via email till you get the hang of it. It is just like working on your car, no one will take more pride and time in doing it then you. There are alot of forums to help also.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Phil'sC5vette
you have one of the best shops in the country near you.
the vette doctors.
advertising ya think?
Old 11-02-2010, 11:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say buy HPtuners and do it yourself. I have it and I love it. There is a learning curve to it but lots of resources to learn if you take the time to do it.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by foff667
I was happy to start tuning on my own after my tuner had issues tuning my combo(one of the best in the north east) looking back I should've just bought it up front as it would've saved me nearly $600.

Sometimes it just takes that nudge I suppose...

-Bill
Same here;
I paid what was SUPPOSED to be a GREAT tuner to try and tune my FI set-up. In two sessions, I spent a total of $600 and got a "hacked up" tune. I already had HPTuners, so I went to the tuning school and dyno tuned my car there. (Picked up WELL over 100rwhp). Now I have tuned my wife's and a couple of friends car, and did a new SD tune on mine.
There IS a learning curve however

Search this Thread