PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O2 Heater Performance DTCs help.

Old 01-27-2004, 01:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O2 Heater Performance DTCs help.

Hi guys.

I seem to be getting all 4 O2 heater DTCs every oh about 200miles or so. It has started this since my SLP headers and CATS install. I used the wire extensions too. CAn all 4 sensors be bad? I assume this is common among header installs. How can I fix this? LS1Edit maybe? Car runs great, BTW.
Old 01-27-2004, 02:34 PM
Staging Lane

I did my install not too long ago and got one DTC "bank two sensor two preheat." After swapping the rear O2s out, I received the same code for bank one. I put another 02 sensor in and that solved it.

From what I understand, when you move the sensors back they do not see as much heat. Apparently, the way it tests for the preheat is by how soon it receives "tolerable" readings from the sensors. Therefore a 'marginal' O2 sensor may show a failure after the header install.

That said, I haven't heard of getting a failure on all four. My first guess would be that it is the same problem. No matter what you have to have the front sensors in working order, or the PCM will not adjust.

The reason it takes 200 mi or so before the light is, because the O2 sensors are only tested under certain circumstances. Temp has to be cold. You have to run at 55 for 5 minutes then at 30 for 5 minutes etc until all the 'test criteria' are met, then it will either pass the test or issue a code.
Mine wouldn't come on until about a tank of gas, until I read the 'LS1 drive cycle', then I was able to get a code in a few miles.

I would look at getting two sensors and see if that resolves it. Roughly $80 each new. You might be able to get a used set (scary).

Good Luck,
Old 01-28-2004, 01:31 AM
Teching In

Hmm.. I dunno here. I hate to spend $80 a pop on the front 2 then still get the DTCs.

A little more background on my car..
I got the car completely stock with little over 28K miles back in August. Then a few months later I found out teh left cat was 'bad', acording to the local shop who checked into the SES light. (That was before I got my AT cable...) So that was when I decided to go ahead and get my headers and high flow cats at the same time. Now that the headers and cats are on is where my current situation comes in.

I just read about the drive cycle.. will have to test that out.

I think this warrents some more investigation. Odd that all 4 where to go bad at the same time. Time to do some data logging.
Old 02-01-2004, 12:44 AM
Teching In

Well, I've not had much time to figure this out but Havent got the SES light on again so... I did do a pull the DTC history and I have a P0153 which is B2S1 O2 sensor slow response.

What readings should I be getting in mV and all from the sensors? I looked at some of the reading I got so far but I'm not sure what I should be getting.
Old 02-01-2004, 04:14 AM
TECH Resident

Do you think that there could be any exhaust leaks around the header collector or the cats? If you had a leak there that could be causing the screwy readings from your O2's.
Old 02-01-2004, 09:54 PM
Teching In

No leak that i can tell of. Exhaust leaks normally give that "tick" sound and its not doing that. I cant feel any leak either. Prob just a fluky sensor, guess I'll have to bite teh bullet and go buy a new one(s). lol The SES is not on for now so I'll see if it comes on again and go from there.

Search this Thread