PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you jump from EFI Live to HP Tuner?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 03:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do you jump from EFI Live to HP Tuner?

I have an '02 LS1 motor which was tuned with EFI Live. I want to use HP Tuner to retune the car.

However HP Tuner can't communicate with my PCM.

Have a coupla questions...

#1 Why can't HP Tuner "talk" with my PCM?

#2 Do I need to go back with EFI Live and reload a stock map?

#3 How do I get HP Tuner to work here?

TIA!
Old 10-22-2010, 03:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe they should interchange unless there is a lock on the PCM or there is a custom OS installed by EFI Live. The two are just programs to read/write to the PCM.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:01 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As stated theres no reason it shouldn't communicate, even if the pcm is tunerlocked it would be able to communication, just that you'd get an invalid auth codes error.

What error message are you getting when trying to read the pcm? That is the key to this puzzle.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:01 PM
On The Tree

Just talked with Texas Speed and Performance, they said that EFI Live recodes the PCM with their OS and nothing else can communicate.

They suggested having a GM dealer reflash my PCM to stock, then HP Tuner would work.

Can anyone else confirm this? Also, will my PCM remain unlocked? The motor is in my Porsche and if it gets recoded with the stock security stuff the motor won't start...
Old 10-22-2010, 04:02 PM
On The Tree

When you turn on HP Tuner it checks a few things, the first 3 work, but when it checks access, it fails.

Supposedly the EFI Link maps aren't locked, no passcode, etc...
Old 10-22-2010, 04:02 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Our software can read their custom os's, just not modify them. Tech 2 to stock would be best.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:03 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by docwyte
When you turn on HP Tuner it checks a few things, the first 3 work, but when it checks access, it fails.

Supposedly the EFI Link maps aren't locked, no passcode, etc...
Then your tuner locked your pcm, no doubt in my mind.

Invalid authorization codes error I assume?
Old 10-22-2010, 04:11 PM
On The Tree

Yep, invalid authorization. So to get it unlocked I'd have to mail the PCM back to him and have him unlock it?

Or code I just have the GM dealer overwrite it with the stock code and then I'd be fine?
Old 10-22-2010, 04:26 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by docwyte
Yep, invalid authorization. So to get it unlocked I'd have to mail the PCM back to him and have him unlock it?

Or code I just have the GM dealer overwrite it with the stock code and then I'd be fine?
Correct. Tech 2 can't unlock a tunerlocked pcm.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:35 PM
On The Tree

Can the dealer overwrite it with the stock code and effectively unlock it?

What if I plug into it with EFI Live, can I unlock it then or will I still be locked out?
Old 10-22-2010, 09:34 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

No dealer can not, You can only unlock it if you have the code.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:09 PM
On The Tree

Argh! So I need the code, which I can only input with EFI Link, and *then* I can access it with HP Tuner?
Old 10-22-2010, 11:45 PM
9 Second Club

Received 221 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by foff667
Our software can read their custom os's, just not modify them. Tech 2 to stock would be best.
Since when? It must be something new, I have never been able to read an efi custom os with hpt. Just like EFI cant read a HPT custom OS it gives you an error like the pcm is locked. I have both efi & hpt and use custom os with both all the time.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:56 PM
On The Tree

So how do you get back into the PCM with HP Tuner to overwrite the EFI Live mapping?
Old 10-23-2010, 12:26 AM
9 Second Club

If it just has an efi custom os then you should be able to do a full flash with hpt with a new tune into the pcm without reading it and you should be good. If it has been locked then the person who locked it is about the only person who can unlock withous going into the pcm. BUT it really depends on how the tune was done with EFI because there are certain changes that can be done with efi and the pcm not be locked but it will lock out hpt. In that case you have to flash it back stock with efi in order to use HPT on the PCM.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:37 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by minytrker
Since when? It must be something new, I have never been able to read an efi custom os with hpt. Just like EFI cant read a HPT custom OS it gives you an error like the pcm is locked. I have both efi & hpt and use custom os with both all the time.
Since always, I constantly get customers sending in efilive custom operating systems we just don't map them. Reading them isn't an issue, mapping them out is the issue.

EFILive on the other hand cannot read out one of our LS1 custom operating systems at least not any easy way

I don't think we os mod lock our gen 4 custom operating systems though.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:42 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by minytrker
If it just has an efi custom os then you should be able to do a full flash with hpt with a new tune into the pcm without reading it and you should be good. If it has been locked then the person who locked it is about the only person who can unlock withous going into the pcm. BUT it really depends on how the tune was done with EFI because there are certain changes that can be done with efi and the pcm not be locked but it will lock out hpt. In that case you have to flash it back stock with efi in order to use HPT on the PCM.
If he's getting an invalid auth code it means the seed/key has been altered from stock, he would not be able to read OR flash with our software as we don't know what the seed/key is.

When reading or flashing our software will first try the known stock seed/key, if this works great it will read/flash at that time. If it doesn't work our software then trys an alternate seed/key(basically for pcm's that were tunerlocked with our software) if it doesn't read out with that secondary seed/key it means the seed key is not a known seed key and will give an invalid auth codes error.

-Bill
Old 10-23-2010, 10:18 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by foff667
Since always, I constantly get customers sending in efilive custom operating systems we just don't map them. Reading them isn't an issue, mapping them out is the issue.

EFILive on the other hand cannot read out one of our LS1 custom operating systems at least not any easy way

I don't think we os mod lock our gen 4 custom operating systems though.
Hmmm, I will try it again this week. I don't think I have ever been able to read a PCM with an EFI custom OS with HPT. I use them them alot, and have had several people over the years accuse me of locking there pcm when all I did was tune it with a EFI custom OS, but they were trying to get into it with HPT. I do know that if you use HPT custom OS or RRT it will lock out EFI and you will have to flash the pcm back to stock with efi. There are a few other ways each software can lock each other out with locking the pcm but IM not going to post them on a public forum.

Quick Reply: How do you jump from EFI Live to HP Tuner?