PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the best tuning program/software for me?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2004, 07:46 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the best tuning program/software for me?

Sorry about the NOOB question, but I am kind of new to this whole EFI thing (Q-jet guy at heart ). I've been trying to read all the posts to learn, but figured I'd ask the question anyways...

I have a 2002 z28 with some minor mods (lid/cutout/etc) and am looking to get a bigger cam and such at a later time. Right now, I'm limited to 224 and below cams because I have to do the OBDII scan every year

I'd like to get a program or scanner like LS11edit to start learning what my car is doing and possibly make a few tweaks before I get a bigger cam. Ideally, I'd love to know if I can get rid of codes so I could go bigger (say a TR230 or something) I have a laptop and am not worried about spending in the $400 range... just nothing like $2k. TIA
Old 02-01-2004, 09:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Talking

First you will need a scanner program. Most LS1 users use EFILive from www.autotap.com. After that you will need LS1Edit ($550) from www.carputing.com, if you want to make any changes. That is the way I went. I am still learning to use LS1Edit but this forum and others have help a lot.

Good Luck.
BowlingSS
Old 02-01-2004, 09:54 AM
TECH Addict

get ls1edit run any cam you want. But if you wait, theres at least TWO individuals that are making equivalent programs, with hardware to boot right now.

One has promised NO VIN LOCK.

If you think about it, someone violated the DMCA to reverse engineer the GM ECU, so thats why the whole tuning software stuff has to be on the low low... You see the whole SCO/LINUX fiasco? If GM had the inkling to slam carputing into the ground (or anyone else making edit) they could do so fast their heads would spin.

Chiptuning in general (i do vw tuning), is a very fine line with current day laws. The DMCA is evil, it says we DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT to modify what we purchase. It must be shot down before it traverses into other areas (IE CARB).

Oh wait thats right, its already a crime to modify our motors. Never mind.

ls1edit is good if you can get a few locals to pitch in and all that, but what i'm saying competition is coming strong and when you can get the same functionality (OR MORE) for less $$ or no-vin lock, might be worth holding out for.

I think im gonna wait for the other $550 solutions that work on all vin's. If not, i'll f'ing write my own. Nothing like a good flash emulator and some reverse engineering to figure out what does what

Pot cannot call the kettle black.
Old 02-01-2004, 11:04 AM
wrencher

Look at this coming soon maybe mid february;
www.hptuners.com
It's a editing & scanner program in one.
By-by edit......
Old 02-01-2004, 11:06 AM
TECH Regular

I'm not so concerned with using this on other people's cars... just mine (I don't know anyone in this town with a f-body).

Isn't Autotap just a diagnostic divice? You cannot make changes with it, right? So why get that and LS1EDIT?
Old 02-01-2004, 11:12 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by wrencher
Look at this coming soon maybe mid february;
www.hptuners.com
It's a editing & scanner program in one.
By-by edit......

I'll have to keep that in mind... Thanks
Old 02-01-2004, 11:15 AM
wrencher

Originally Posted by Biochem

Isn't Autotap just a diagnostic divice? You cannot make changes with it, right? So why get that and LS1EDIT?
Thats why you should check out my link in the above post.
Old 02-01-2004, 11:47 AM
TECH Addict

the value of ls1edit is very little on resale. Thats my only beef. things like tunercat and hptuners actually will carry a good resale value if you get tired of your car
Old 02-01-2004, 12:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Talking

Originally Posted by Biochem
Autotap can re-set codes but mainly is just a logging software. LS1Edit does not do logging. You have to log first to know where you are running then you use LS1Edit to make the changes as needed. LS1Edit does have a learning curve with it but with help from this forum you will learn a lot.
Check out some of the tunning links at the top and also do searches. There is a lot of good stuff out there.

BowlingSS
Old 02-01-2004, 12:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you have the time to wait, i would, and see how the feedback is on this new tuner that is available.

does both datalogging, and computer programming, for about $500, and NOT VIN LOCKED like the people at carputing did to edit...

www.hptuners.com

I plan on buying it the day it comes out for the 98 cars.

ryan
Old 02-01-2004, 12:50 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah slow... I plan on waiting a few months and see what that has to offer. I'm in no hurry to make changes... just thought I'd take my time and learn all I could. Installing the cam is the easy part for me.
Old 02-01-2004, 12:57 PM
TECH Addict

wonder what happens when you read in an ls1edit tune on hptuner? Does it retain all the data when written back?

hmm
Old 02-01-2004, 01:09 PM
11 Second Club

does hptuner work on handhelds?
Old 02-01-2004, 01:16 PM
TECH Addict

i spose if it has a serial port and windows 98 it would. Doubt it works on windows CE or the likes of tablet xp.
Old 02-01-2004, 10:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by samz28
wonder what happens when you read in an ls1edit tune on hptuner? Does it retain all the data when written back?

hmm
i don't know for sure, but im willing to bet, that when you read it in, that becomes your base tune, and you can modify from there....

I'll let you know when i get mine, i have a couple of hpp3 and superchip tuners around, that i can throw into a 98 pcm, and see what it will pull out.

anybody in orlando with a 98 ls1-edited pcm if you don't mind, i'll test this when i get mine, PM me,

Ryan
Old 02-01-2004, 11:09 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

As long as your PCM isn't locked by your previous tuner/tunershop so that only they can read/edit it, then you can use the product by HP Tuners to read whatever is on the PCM as a base and start with that to modify it to your needs.

Old 02-02-2004, 06:43 AM
TECH Addict

removing codes is covered in the basic version?
Old 02-02-2004, 11:23 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Yes.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/YaBB.p...num=1075190219
Old 02-02-2004, 03:15 PM
TECH Addict

you guys should really consider pricing a 3 year version cheaper. not being vin locked is cool but i got a buddy 02, me, 00 and my bro 99 and i want to tweak them its a little on the $$ side. 3 people kickin in for a slightly more pricey version would be cooler. But of course thats your schtick. just a though. I'm just waiting for other folks to make up my mind on the route to go. It would be cool if you could online upgrade a year at a time for us not so rich folks ya know?
Old 02-02-2004, 03:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

I like the fact that if power is lost during the FLASH update you do NOT loose your PCM. This is with the standard version of HPTUNER. I have read so many horror stories about loosing power or communications with edit. They all have to have the vehicle towed back to GM and re-flashed. Hptuner claims this will not happen with the standard version. I like the fact that with the Pro version a person could actually re-write portions of the operating code and not just the data tables. Can you say bye-bye TCS. Just my .02 worth and I am planning on getting a copy of this just as soon as it released. Should be this week according to thier website. Happy motoring all