Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Spark!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 11:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default No Spark!

When car runs, it runs great! This set up has been in the car for last 6 years.
The car may start 50 times in a row, then won't start for minutes, days, or even weeks. It gets better than 50 psi of fuel pressure and turns over just fine. Just won't start. When it doesn't start, it's because there isn't any spark. I have replaced the Crank Position Sensor twice. Ohmed out the wires from the CPS to the computer, and they ohm out good to ground, and ohm out good from one end to the other. I put in a new computer, it starts one time, then won't start again. I am at wits end. Every time I get done tinkering and it starts, I might get it to start 10, 20, 30 times without any problems. But, the next time I try to start, poof no spark
Old 10-30-2010, 09:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you checked your coils when the car won't start?

You may have a bad ground or a bad connection from a fuse (+12V), and that's exactly the symptom.

When the problem is present, check for proper voltage at the coils. They must have ground present (check for continuity to a good ground, I think it's the black wire, don't remember), and also +12V on the pink wire.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:29 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks. I haven't checked for power or ground at the coils. I will do that tomorrow. Good idea.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:58 PM
On The Tree

you have a bunch of relays in the fuse box under the hood they are starting to go bad all over the place ...the next time it does it change the ac relay with the ing relay and it will start ..I just helped a guy on here who was pullin his hair out tryin to find the problem and that is what it was and my buds car did the same thing its like a 20.00 relay just wait till it does and switch them to be sure
Old 10-31-2010, 03:53 PM
11 Second Club

Definitely sounds like a wire issue or electrical.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:42 PM
On The Tree

so what happend ??????????????????????????????????
Old 11-02-2010, 08:47 PM
10 Second Club

Might still be too early to say. Replaced the computer this one last time with one I could write to with HP Tuners. Car didn't want to start. Checked voltage and ground at coils. Good to go. Charged battery until completely full. Car started. Finished tuning car, and made sure it was connected to battery charger before every start. It started every time. Called customer and told him to come pick it up, and buy new battery as soon as possible. Come to find out, it was the same battery in the car that I had put in almost 6 years ago. So, 3 crank position sensors, ohming out the harness, reseating and gluing pins in connectors, 2 new computers, and may have been the battery the whole time. Battery always showed good voltage though, and always turned the car over, but I guess wouldn't allow spark. Or, the computer was the problem the whole time and the battery just wasn't charged enough to start it with this last computer. .....or, it's still not fixed, and just happens to be on the cycle where it starts 60 plus times in a row. We'll see.