Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Definitions please...Search is WAY too big

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 09:08 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Definitions please...Search is WAY too big

O.k I've doing searches on this board for weeks on nuggets of information to try and further my knowledge prior to getting my tuning software. I think I'm getting a decent grasp on a lot of things but theres still plenty I scratch my head at. Like a few of these abbreviations...

PE-Fueling
Closed Loop (forgot which is which)
Open Loop (same)
IAT
ECT
BARO
STD (No not that one )

Also I know HPTuners has the capabilities to tune Ford systems with Dodge coming in the future. When I order the system do all the 8 credits have to GM or Ford? Can I get half of one or the other

I did a search on all the topics and just got a slew of stuff that was off topic to what I needed (definitions) .

Thanks Guys
Old 11-02-2010, 09:37 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All the HP Tuners come with 8 credits of GM OR 8 of Ford at the moment. You can add more to that in either form, but for now they are only one or the other to start with.

If you go to HP Tuners website and sign up on the forum, I am sure you will find out more of what you are looking for, but here is a quick run down (loosely interpreted)

PE - power enrichment - meaning the fueling that is added over base fueling as specified by the tables that correlate to what is going on. It is there to provide the extra fuel needed during acceleration. Just like a programmable power valve.

Closed Loop - the state of the computer where it uses a predetermined set of instructions and modifies them to what the outside sensors are telling it they need. The computer is in charge of fueling and ignition. Such as O2 sensors, MAP sensor, MAF sensor, coolant temp and throttle position.

Open Loop - the state of the computer where it uses the predetermined set of instructions only with very few modifiers. This happens during cold starts, immediately after the car is started, or during WOT.

IAT - intake air temp - self explanatory

ECT - engine coolant temp - ditto

BARO - also referred to as map - baro is the actual reading of the barometric pressure outside of the engine. The Map sensor reads the pressure inside the engine/manifold. Sometimes this is achieve using 2 different sensors, sometimes not. The terms are sometimes used interchangeably, but should not be for obvious reasons.

STD - usually a conversion factor to bring measurements into a standard table or language. (iirc)
Old 11-02-2010, 09:51 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think they have a cream for that last one