PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Connection issues with HPtuners? Anyone else have this issue lately?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 06:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Connection issues with HPtuners? Anyone else have this issue lately?

Here is the issue. Lately starting around Aug- September on certain cars I've picked up a connectivity issue. Often the scanner would just quit randomly and wouldn't reconnect until you unplugged the interface from the car and also from the laptop. Once it was reconnected it would carry on until the next random disconnect. Sometimes this would be 15 minutes apart sometimes 2 minutes or even 30 seconds.

Here is a really weird thing. On some cars it will cut the log off at the launch or say like clock work at 5000 RPM, etc. It doesn't seem to be a year or model car thing and the next car might be perfectly fine and not do it once.

So far I've tried 3 laptops two of which I used before this problem showed up. They have

Win 7 (previously known good)
Vista (previously known good) and a
XP netbook (purchased right around the time this started).

I've tried swapping USB cables - no luck even went out and bought a couple brand new cables. nothing.

I've tried different HPtuners cables also. This is a little trickier to do as my 3 different cables have different things licensed so its a bit cumbersome to try all three on the same car especially if the car isn't being consistent on how it disconnects. I have one HPtuners cable with nothing but V6 cars on it and one with all Gen 3 V8. Both of those cables acted up today on the same car. Turbocharged 98 Camaro.

The other weird thing is when this is happening I have a hell of a time staying connected to my dyno, but I don't' have to be connected to my dyno for the connection issues to occur with HPtuners. So, what I'm saying is I have connection issues with HPTuners only but if I also happen to be connected to the dyno at the same time it pisses the dyno off as well! The only fix seems to be to unplug everything and restart.

Also tried beta / non beta. No difference, still does it.

I feel like its a firmware issue since it seemed to pop up all at once, its doing it on laptops that worked fine before, and its doing it with multiple cables some of which are not used often.

I've been shooting emails back and forth with HPtuners support. They have been fast and prompt in returning my emails but so far we haven't gotten to far in finding the issue. I've got to get this figured out! It severely affects my productivity when I have a day where HPtuners is having a hissy fit!

Today was one of those days that it would shut the scanner off right around 5k RPM and occasionally loose connection with the dyno. First I tried running the scanner and dyno on separate laptops. Finally I gave up and switched to EFILive and finished the car up.

Please help! Or at least chime in if you have the same issue!
Old 11-06-2010, 05:26 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ssounds like it could be a hardware issue to me alvin. shoot support an email linking this thread and ill have u send the interfaces in for testing. seeing it being an intermittent issue it may take a few days of testing.

Last edited by foff667; 11-06-2010 at 05:44 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:56 AM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I popped mine open when I started having issues like that and there was a burnt up widget on my circuit board. They said that it's from using a power inverter while you have the HPTuners box attached to the laptop. They want either clean AC power to the laptop or battery power only. I shipped it back and they charged me like $70 to fix it. They did it quick also.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
I popped mine open when I started having issues like that and there was a burnt up widget on my circuit board. They said that it's from using a power inverter while you have the HPTuners box attached to the laptop. They want either clean AC power to the laptop or battery power only. I shipped it back and they charged me like $70 to fix it. They did it quick also.
The interface that I have the most problems with is one that had popped. The car had a bad ground on it (2010 missing the ground to the head on drivers side) We had it fixed and ever since then its been by far the biggest offender.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by foff667
ssounds like it could be a hardware issue to me alvin. shoot support an email linking this thread and ill have u send the interfaces in for testing. seeing it being an intermittent issue it may take a few days of testing.
Thanks Bill,

I know we have asked this before but this time you think we can just have this one traded out for another? PM or email me the price. Sorry for the thread, I'm just looking for anyone else who might have had a issue and perhaps knows a fix

Also, where there any firmware updates in July to Aug time frame? Anyway we can have them manually re-loaded? Can you force a firmware update?
Old 11-10-2010, 11:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On mine I notice sometimes it is hard to reconnect to a car.

For example, log the car, save the log and shut off the car, modify the tune, then try to reflash. Lots of times I have to switch to a different usb port on the laptop to get it to connect.

Pretty frustrating.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine does this all the time... I have to cycle the key in the car, and unplug the usb from the computer before I reconnect.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:40 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by slammin86
On mine I notice sometimes it is hard to reconnect to a car.

For example, log the car, save the log and shut off the car, modify the tune, then try to reflash. Lots of times I have to switch to a different usb port on the laptop to get it to connect.

Pretty frustrating.
The scanner MUST be disconnected to flash/read via the editor. Closing the scanner or disconnecting it should fix your issue.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:41 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by built408
Mine does this all the time... I have to cycle the key in the car, and unplug the usb from the computer before I reconnect.
Does what all the time? Disconnect while scanning? If so contact support.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by foff667
The scanner MUST be disconnected to flash/read via the editor. Closing the scanner or disconnecting it should fix your issue.
Yeah, I always have the scanner disconnected before trying to flash the tune. It is strange. I will have to sometimes cycle the key on and off and move the usb cable around to get it to reconnect again.

Running windows 7. It doesn't just happen on my car, it seems to happen on all of them I mess with.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Update. All three of my cables are doing it now. It's so random it's hard to know exactly what causes it but it does the exact same thing and messes up the dyno in a really weird way
Old 11-10-2010, 08:40 PM
Staging Lane

I just had the same problem and emailed support about it. They told me to try and use 2.22. I was trying to log and it would keep saying interface is not found or not connected (something like that). But I just tried it on my car and didn't have any problems?
Old 11-11-2010, 09:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The car I'm working on now is a pretty bad offender. Anything to try while I'm in here Bill?
Old 11-11-2010, 10:27 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I have the issue, I unhook the cable from the laptop AND car for just a second and then hook them back up and it seems to vanish. Only occasionally will have a car that will make me do it multiple times.

I never had to do this before sometime this last summer.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:34 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Alvin@Tick
The car I'm working on now is a pretty bad offender. Anything to try while I'm in here Bill?
Maybe try a stock set of spark plug wires. Just an idea.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Frost
When I have the issue, I unhook the cable from the laptop AND car for just a second and then hook them back up and it seems to vanish. Only occasionally will have a car that will make me do it multiple times.

I never had to do this before sometime this last summer.
That's more than a few saying sometime over the summer is when it started happening. I really wish we can figure out whats going on.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:51 PM
FormerVendor

I moved into the new shop July 1st and it was right after that time.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Another odd thing my software/cables started doing is failing on the first flash. It does this quite often. You try to flash and it says no VCM detected. If you do not do anything but try to flash again it works on the second try.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:10 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I have had problems only with one car with it randomly disconnecting. But I have also have problems with the new trans modules not resetting. Like I have tuned a truck before and had not a single problem. But now, when he wants me to take a look at something else, I have to take the batt off and put it back on. Its very strange.

I have had a few problems with F bodies where it fails to recognize a pcm the first try but after a second attempt at a flash, it will flash just fine.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:59 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Alvin@Tick
Another odd thing my software/cables started doing is failing on the first flash. It does this quite often. You try to flash and it says no VCM detected. If you do not do anything but try to flash again it works on the second try.
It used to time on on security delay and count down. Now it pauses and says no VCM detected. It's just from trying to flash too quickly after key-on.

Quick Reply: Connection issues with HPtuners? Anyone else have this issue lately?