Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's wrong with my car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 03:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What's wrong with my car?

My car starting misfiring the other day in the rain, throwing a few O2 sensor codes, one being high voltage, low voltage, one of the banks running lean(forgot which one), and a few others which I forgot. Sometimes it runs fine, yet at other times it still misfires. It's kind of intermitent, happens now and may happen in five or so minutes, or may come back tomorrow, who knows. I just replaced the plugs today with TR55's gapped at .050, and the wires about 6,000 miles ago with MSD's. I replaced the 02 sensors about 100 miles ago. The problem is still there. It runs like dogsh*t until the higher RPM range; above about 3,000-3,500 RPM, it runs like it should. Any less than that and it barely runs. The light goes off some of the time and then lights back up after it starts running bad again, but like I said, it may be five minutes, or it may be 5 days. Any ideas?

I'm starting to think it is one of the injectors clogged up, since this only occurs in the lower RPM range. The lean 02 sensor codes could be set off from not enough fuel from one of the banks. Sound like a good possibility? Any other ideas?

Thanks
Ryan
Old 02-04-2004, 03:49 PM
TECH Addict

It's not so much the upper RPM range, but more like 75% or more throttle.

Ryan
Old 02-04-2004, 04:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar experience with a bad coil pack, thats something to look into.
Old 02-04-2004, 04:58 PM
TECH Addict

How did you determine the coil pack was bad. Just replaced it or what? and is there any way to test it?

Thanks
Ryan
Old 02-06-2004, 07:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How did you determine the coil pack was bad. Just replaced it or what? and is there any way to test it?
Dumb ******@ luck! I had messed with everything, just would not always run right, expecially on damp days (not sure the connection there). My buddie had a set of coil packs laying around and on a whim I just threw them on, problem solved. Not sure if its a common thing or if you can test the individual coil pack. I sold the car about three months later so I dont know if there were any other problems.

If I were you I would take the car to a dealer, just for a diagnostic. Once they tell you whats wrong, cart its *** home and fix it. They might hit ya 50 bucks or something but they have experience with problems like this that few of us come close too. Also, make sure the damn lights are on when you take it in, everytime I went to talk mine in the light would go off and it would run fine, which figures!