PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air bag light on and will not start.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 08:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air bag light on and will not start.

I just brought home a 2000 Z28 which will not start, with the air bag light on . Is this the reason it will not even crank over? The car has only 66K miles but rear ended something on the driver side.
My question is: Does the computer need to be cleared to start the engine? Or is there a reset button somewhere?

Newbie question I know, however I have never actually had an "LS1 Automatic" in the car it came with with all the safety equipment still in place, (Some is still in place some is pushed back a bit)

Anybody...Know for sure?
Attached Thumbnails Air bag light on and will not start.-20336830_2x.jpg  
Old 12-10-2010, 10:09 PM
TECH Resident

is airbag deployed ? if it is then it wont start
Old 12-10-2010, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by tsench
is airbag deployed ? if it is then it wont start

Never heard or seen this. Ive worked on plenty of cars that didnt have air bags in them/or deployed and they start right up.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by chevymec
Never heard or seen this. Ive worked on plenty of cars that didnt have air bags in them/or deployed and they start right up.
yeah if air bag is not deployed then it will start but if it deploy and it will not start
Old 12-15-2010, 07:36 PM
Teching In

Default Will not start with air bag deployed

Do I need to clear the code to start the engine? Or is there a reset button somewhere.

Thanks
Old 12-27-2010, 07:16 PM
Teching In

Default Air Bags deployed no start LS1 Camaro

Has anyone cleared the codes in body shop situations? Or do I need a GM scan tool to clear this code?
Will I need to remove the deployed air bags, at least from the wiring harness or is there a module I can dis-able...?
Old 12-28-2010, 05:47 AM
Teching In

you need to replace the air bag if it went off, and the fr air bag sensor,and the passenger air bag sensor.then the air bag control module can be reset. and no no way to buypass them.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:13 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That doesnt seem right. I crashed my fbody years ago blew both airbags, got it towed back to the shop, put in a new batt, started right up.
Now you may have some wire harness damage that is preventing it from starting.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:17 PM
Teching In

Default Will not start

Air bags were not the issue, the problem was loss of ground following the crash. All is well now runs like an LS1 again.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Glad you got it fixed!!
Old 05-07-2011, 12:45 AM
Teching In

Default LS1 starting issue

Yes and thanks to all for the help in finding what "Not" to look for.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 99 Formula was crashed into in June. It sustained some serious Front End Damage which in turn deployed the Air Bags.

I'm currently trying to get the car started. I really want to hear it run, but also to get some STABIL thru the fuel lines and up to the Fuel Injectors, due to the fact that I'm unsure how long it will take to get the car back on the road again and don't want old fuel turning to varnish in the mean time.

I'm currently having a similar problem as the O.P. I attempted to start the vehicle not long after getting the car home from the accident, but the car simply had no power at all. The Positive Battery Cable running from the Fuse Block on the Driver Side of the Engine Bay to the Battery on the Passenger Side was smashed in the accident. This caused a short circuit, which in turn drained (and ruined) my Optima Battery. I replaced the Battery under warranty and attempted to start the vehicle again. Nothing. The car would power up, but would loose all power when the ignition was turned to "Start". I jerked around on the Positive Battery Cable and was able to make the starter Click-out. You know, "Click-click-click-click...", (like a dead or dying Battery) but that's all I could manage.

Thinking the damaged Positive Cable (which runs to the aforementioned Fuse Block, the Alternator, and the Starter) was preventing enough power to reach the Starter, I just completed installing a new Positive Cable.

Now when I attempt to start the car, I turn the key on, hear the fuel pump prime, attempt to crank the engine over and get nothing. I still have power while trying to crank the engine. The SES light stays on, and the clock on the Radio stays illuminated, but I don't get my "Click" from the Starter and I believe my AIRBAG light stays on. When I return the key to "Run", all my Gage Lights illuminate and my AIRBAG Light flashes at me.

I read through this entire thread prior to posting and it seems as though the car should start even though the Air Bags have deployed.

What the Hell is going on here? What am I overlooking? I know this was asked previously in the thread, but is there some type of "Reset" that I need to perform to get this ****** to start?

Thanks for your help guys.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Success! I finally got the car fired up tonight.

While attempting to route the wiring correctly so that the Oil Level Sensor Connector would reach the Sensor on the side of the Oil Pan, I had the Starter in and out half a dozen times. Along with this I would loosen and re-tighten the Electrical Connections to the Starter so I could adjust which direction the wires came off the starter. Upon finding a combination that worked, I neglected to re-tighten the smaller of the two connections at the Starter.

I dropped the Starter again tonight and found the loose connection, re-tightened it, and the car fired right up.

Moral of the story: Be sure you check and re-check all your electrical connections.

BTW, I'm a little disappointed that I didn't get even one reply to my previous post in my thread asking for help. Big FAIL on that one Tech.

Quick Reply: Air bag light on and will not start.