Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning with EGR

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 01:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tuning with EGR

From a tuner perspective is there any advantage to keeping the EGR?

It seems like most guys pull their EGR and AIR components when they install headers and/or ORY. Emissions checks are non-existent where I live, so I could go either way.

I've read on here where several guys see a loss in fuel economy when they removed the EGR, but I assume a new tune would prevent that given the 01-02 cars don't have this problem. I think I also read in another thread where you can achieve greater fuel economy utilizing the EGR vs. a non EGR car.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:53 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jred_82
From a tuner perspective is there any advantage to keeping the EGR?
None at all.

Originally Posted by jred_82
I've read on here where several guys see a loss in fuel economy when they removed the EGR, but I assume a new tune would prevent that given the 01-02 cars don't have this problem. I think I also read in another thread where you can achieve greater fuel economy utilizing the EGR vs. a non EGR car.
the EGR kills MPG.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The intent for EGR was to fill the cylinder with spend exhaust gas to cool combustion and reduce NOx emmissions. You might think that exhaust gas going back into the cylinder would raise temperature, but its dead at that point. No left over O2 so it doesn't aid combustion, it has a mass so it carries heat out as it goes threw combustion, and is basically dead space. Having said that, EGR can help fuel economy by decreasing the effective displacement of the engine. Sounds crazy, but I can scan a page from a powerplant engineering book saying the same thing. In the end I doubt you would see any difference at all.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Timing is raised by up to about 6 deg at lower rpm/airflow when EGR is active. I've never been able to figure out if it's always active in these ranges, though.