Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mail order tune - "Saved data"?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 04:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mail order tune - "Saved data"?

When you send in a your pcm for a mail-order-tune, is the tuner able to pull any data from the pcm about how the car is running?

For example, can they see what your air/fuel ratio has been and what your timing is, etc?

I'm not sure if any of this info is "saved" to your pcm or if the tuner is just applying a general tune without any data about how the car is runing?
Old 12-22-2010, 04:22 PM
TECH Regular

They will have the ability to see your entire tune. So yes they could see your spark tables and your commanded AFR. At WOT your pcm ignores the o2's so it has no way of knowing if the engine is going rich or lean. The tuner wont be able to see if you have been getting knock for whatever reason and they will probably just take your pcm and flash it with their own "mail order tune." Or maybe they will just alter your original tune im not sure. Seems a little redundant to save everyone's original tune.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:42 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 98ws6blk
When you send in a your pcm for a mail-order-tune, is the tuner able to pull any data from the pcm about how the car is running?

For example, can they see what your air/fuel ratio has been and what your timing is, etc?

I'm not sure if any of this info is "saved" to your pcm or if the tuner is just applying a general tune without any data about how the car is runing?
I keep ALL copies of the way the PCMs come in. AFR is measured in your pipe with a wideband, so no, that can't be seen. Codes are erased when power is removed, so they are gone too.

As for the last sentence, I guess that depends on your tuner.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok. I don't care about saving my factory tune...guess my wording was weird.

I just wanted to know what info the tuner could access about how my car is running.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:17 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want a tuner to see how your car is running, you have to take him your running car
Old 12-22-2010, 06:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Got it! That's what I thought ; )
Old 12-22-2010, 10:25 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 98ws6blk
no...

yes, they can see how your current tune is set up and what things are set to... but they won't know how well the car is actually running with those settings, unless you provide them with recorded data logs so that they can see data from several different parameters...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 12-23-2010, 12:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
no...

yes, they can see how your current tune is set up and what things are set to... but they won't know how well the car is actually running with those settings, unless you provide them with recorded data logs so that they can see data from several different parameters...
Got it! Thanks!

Any idea when the In-Tune is coming out?