Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BMW PCM flashing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 01:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default BMW PCM flashing?

I'll also post this in the swap section but....

After my Silverado got totalled out (guy made an illegal left turn in front of me and caused me to T-bone him), the insurance company paid out a good sum of money (paid me for near all my mods). So now what I would really like to do is a Z3 with an F-body takeout LS1/T56.

My plan is to run the engine on the f-body PCM while leaving the BMW PCM in place to operate all the "car" stuff (everything from lights/alarm/gauges/etc. to doing the OBDII scan). My hope is that I could somehow get all the engine codes turned off to make a "dumb" BMW PCM that would then get me through the OBDII scans we do in AZ.

BMW PCM:

tap into LS1 crank signal to provide tach info
tap into T56 speedo signal to provide speedo info
install a BMW Oil pressure sensor to provide oil pressure
etc... you get the idea...

I want the BMW PCM to "work" but just not be involved in RUNNING the engine (ie: I clip off all the outputs that would go to the engine) and turn off the codes to match. I then need to run some form of O2Simulator on the after CAT O2s so it THINKS everything working as factory.

Now that I have made that super confusing, the simple question is "Where do I get some form of software like HPTuners/EFILive that I can work on the BMW PCM?"

Thanks,
Chris
Old 01-17-2011, 02:26 PM
11 Second Club

Ive seen this done, but the pcm is gonna want more than what your offering as far as data... your gonna need a bmw vss and figure out how to hook it up to make it work with a t56 i guess.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:50 PM
On The Tree

well you would need to figure out how many pulse per mile the bmw uses for speed against what the f bodies pulse per mile speed sensor was and you would need to know how the bmw works as far as its tach signal goes, does it go off crank sensor speed? and if so how many tooth was the bmw's crank sensor compared to the ls1's crank sensor, there will be a lot of weird bugs/issues during this build, i think it would just be a lot easier to just run aftermarket gauges, but i understand the entire wanting it to work using factory gauges and have your a/c work correctly and everything else, in order to do that i believe you will have to find a really goood understanding about both factory systems and go from there.
Jawsh
Old 01-17-2011, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

send out the bimmer pcm and have all diagnostics turned off, monitors report ready leave the pcm hooked to pwr & grd and the check eng light with the bimmer dlc in the stock location. do your swap making the gm pcm run the
eng dlc in the glove box. engineering this to run the bimmer bcm could be challenging to say the least. winols is one editor used on bmw its pretty crude and expensive compared to what we are used to with hpt & efi
Old 01-17-2011, 08:46 PM
TECH Veteran

As it has been mentioned, I would need to figure out the pulses per mile (VSS) and pulses per rev (crank sensor) the BMW PCM is looking for. I could then make some sort of converter box to read the Chevy inputs and convert them to BMW outputs (provided we are talking straight pulses here and not pulse width modulation....which I wouldn't think would be happening....).