Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RPM Surging after cam install and tune

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 12:07 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RPM Surging after cam install and tune

Got my cam installed made great numbers but am having problems with drivability. We drove the car around and tuned while in the car and still having issues. It seems like nothing is responding consistantly to the tune. Before i got the cam installed I had a mail order tune for all of my boltons and to stiffen up the shifts. After putting the cam in it was banging into gear only when shifted from park directly to drive. Aftermessing with it a bit we got it alot better but the shift ingages pretty hard when it is cold along with erratic surges in RPM throwing P0300 until it warms up. Even when warm if i let it idle for a minute or two it will throw P0300. While tuning the car for almost 5 hours this did not occur once. I have no idea why it is acting up all of a sudden. It also still tuggs alittle more than it did before with my foot off of the gas. The weirdest issue is when the defrosters/ac is on and the car is reved the RPM's are not smooth and hang at about 1500 for like 5 to 15 seconds until it works its way out. It seems like whenever we get one or two of the issues sorted out another acts up. Has anyone experienced anything like this and knows if its a mechanical issue of a tune issue and what the causes might be. Thanks
Old 01-24-2011, 07:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Combination of your air flow tables, probably throttle cracker and whats your IAC counts?
Old 01-24-2011, 11:11 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

More than likely it's the tune.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it has something to do with my IAC. When I got my converter installed it wasent ideling right, turned out he had the o2's swapped, he took the IAC off and manually pushed it all the way in. Some times the car would stall out when backing up when going on and off the gas qucikly and soemtimes when pulling up to a light. Are you not saposed to manually push the IAC in when cleaning it?
Old 01-24-2011, 06:35 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Alot of times the tune should be tweaked for a stall because the higher stall put's less load on the motor.I will ussually raise idle 50 rpm and mess with the follower/cracker tables so the rpm does not dip. Sometimes the IAC goes bad but most of the time it's in the tune.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:56 PM

For me the leading cause of cam surge is excess fuel (likely the result of
airflow calculation error). Such as may come from driving the VE table up
trying to get the "right number" when the cam is letting air blow into the
exhaust.

Quick Reply: RPM Surging after cam install and tune