Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Emissions delete?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 10:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emissions delete?

Ok...newb here so be nice....What is gained by deleting the emissions on the pcm? I am putting an LS1 into a 95 Z. Should I delete? Does that make it any easier or harder to set up in the harness? How would it affect the engine/mpg?

Thanks
Old 01-29-2011, 05:57 PM
On The Tree

AIR is generally useless, don't waste your time thinking about it. Disable the error codes in HPT/EFILive and you're good to go.

EGR removal will make it easier on the swap, wiring, it'll be lighter, engine bay cleaner, and TB/intake no coated in soot. For me, fewer parts = less things that can go wrong like a poor seal resulting in perpetual exhaust gas in your intake stream. For this you have to disable to codes and clear out the EGR table as well.

Not having AIR/EGR gives you the option of using headers with and without emissions. Most LS6 and aftermarket intakes don't support EGR, so swapping it may be a waste of time if you plan on upgrading later. Besides all that, EGR vs no EGR is just like every other car (eg lower combustion temp, fewer drowned polar bears).
Old 01-29-2011, 08:10 PM
On The Tree

Screw the polar bears! LOL I'm just totally new to this whole thing and dont want to "f" up. ALready made the mistake of getting a harness from a 2001 silverado.....selling that and getting one for an fbody.

I was just concerned about deleting this stuff and it affecting the engine in a negative way. I don't really care too much about the headers and that stuff (this is going to be my son's car....father son prject) Not a big deal to max out on hp. I think 300 is enough for him! I do like the sound though! PLus if I do headers I have to swap the steering....tryin to get by on a reasonable budget.

So....if I delete i basically get rid of all that crap, put covers on the places they went and forget it? How about the O2 sensors? Don't they send info to the computer to adj fuel mixture? I assume I keep those?

Again....any info is greatly appreciated...
Old 01-29-2011, 10:38 PM
On The Tree

There are 4 O2 sensors on the car. You're gonna want to keep the 2 primaries (upstream from the catalytic converters, one on each side/bank). These are the ones you were referring to. What you do with the secondaries depends on you. You can remove those two and tune out the resulting MIL codes, in which case you will be able to pass OBD-II emissions testing (plug-in) but not necessarily the visual or otherwise. If you don't plan on using catalytic converters, you should ditch the rear sensors.

As far as EGR, no, nothing bad will happen if you remove it and zero out the corresponding table in the ECM. There are some concerns with detonation in certain extremes, but that's not applicable to you.

For what it's worth, the LS1 in fbody cars was severely underrated from the factory. It's output is closer to 350 at the flywheel. The reason I bring that up because we've seen way too many powerful RWD cars wrapped around trees, poles, and bridges because the drivers were new or inexperienced. Keep that in mind when building a car for your son...
Old 02-13-2011, 09:12 PM
On The Tree

I am all too aware of that. I talked to a guy at autozone and he said there was a way to set "limits" with a programmer. Know anything about that?

He is my only son and I do want the family name to continue! lol
Old 02-14-2011, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah set the speed limiter to 60mph and rpm limit to 4000 wouldn't that be fun to drive!! Just teach him how to drive and to not always try and be a hero. Sometimes when it gets sideways you do have to lift!
Old 02-14-2011, 03:36 PM
On The Tree

LOL! I know....that would suck. Maybe just while hes starting out. Of course he could just drive the buick and I could...uh....help break in the Z! MUAHHHAAAha

Quick Reply: Emissions delete?