Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cags bypass

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2004, 09:50 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default cags bypass

I don't know if there is an easy way to do this but i want to bypas my cags so i can run a remote start and use the cheap copy keys with no chip.

TIA MIKE
Old 02-13-2004, 10:03 AM
Staging Lane

Remote start DOES NOT go well with a manual transmission.

!CAGS will not allow you to use a standard blank key. That would be !VATS.

Yes there is an easy way to !CAGS, you can either buy the harness piece ~$30

Or put a resistor in yourself ~$1 and a little sloppier.

Good luck,
SSN8R
Old 02-13-2004, 10:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by blacktransam
I don't know if there is an easy way to do this but i want to bypas my cags so i can run a remote start and use the cheap copy keys with no chip.

TIA MIKE
to use a unchipped key, you need to disable IVATs and the only way I know to do this is to turn it off in LS1edit
Old 02-13-2004, 10:34 AM
11 Second Club

sorry vats is what i meant
Old 02-13-2004, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

VATS can be bypassed too. Most of the conversion guys do it. It's about $10 worth of parts that you can get at Radio Shack. http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/70lt1/vats.shtml . This way, if you ever wanted to go back to stock, just disconnect the box and reconnect the connector to whatever it's connected to now. The removable box makes a good anti-theft device on conversion cars (like mine).
Old 02-14-2004, 09:52 AM
Teching In

why isn't a remote start a good idea with a manual car? I understand that if you tried to remote start it with it in gear it would lurch around and probably hit something, but if that wasn't a problem, because you always leave it parked out of gear with the e-brake on, is there any other reason that its a bad idea? I'd really like to turn the defrost on high with the heat all the way up and remote start the car from inside the house and let it sit and warm up and defrost for 5 or 10 minutes while I eat some breakfast or something.

GREG
Old 02-14-2004, 07:30 PM
TECH Resident

Buddy of mine has it on a 5 speed with no problems...Starting in gear is the only problem I can think you would have.
Old 02-14-2004, 09:41 PM
11 Second Club

well you can set it up with the compustar unit so that it knows you are in neutral. i just needed to know how to bypass the vats system. that link is a little to advanced for me i want to buy and plug in
Old 02-16-2004, 12:34 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by blacktransam
well you can set it up with the compustar unit so that it knows you are in neutral. i just needed to know how to bypass the vats system. that link is a little to advanced for me i want to buy and plug in
If you just want something to buy and plug, summit's got one for like 45 bucks or somewhere around there, totally plug and play. Check it out.

GREG

PS, realisticly probably every online f-body shop sells the same piece, but I think summit might be cheaper, or have cheaper or faster delivery.
Old 02-16-2004, 12:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

To disable vats you can measure the resistance value of the chip in the key. Go to Radio Shack and get a resistor of the same value or within a few ohms. Find the orange(from memory here) wires coming from the key lock cylinder. Unplug these wires from the lock cylinder. Connect the resistor between the wires going to the BCM not the ones from the lock cylinder. There are several differant value chip resistors so getting one of the correct value is critical. If memory serves me right if you try the incorrect resistor value it will disable for a few minutes. If you try the incorrect one more than three times I think it will disable starting for a few hours. This is from memory so this is NOT etched in stone or anything. I have done this to a Caddy I owned and one F-body car. You must have the proper key to measure first though.
Old 02-16-2004, 03:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wait until the hptuners is out, and find somebody who has it, and throw them a couple of dollars to turn it off, (and tune other stuff for you)

I should be buying a 98 cable when it comes out

Ryan