Other, please post who.
23.53%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

What aftermarket ECU and why?

Old 02-14-2011, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default What aftermarket ECU and why?

I am looking into purchasing a new aftermarket ECU and want to get your input. Right now I am looking at the BS3, the new Holley Dominator EFI, and the MS3EXP. If there is another system please speak up about it.

I am looking for something to control closed loop with a WB, be able to use 3bar, have ECU control the boost, 3 step, nitrous, meth, and transmition.

I have alot of experience with the MS3EXP so I am partial to it. They are also interested in helping me make it work with the factory instrument cluster.

I have downloaded and studied the Holley Dominator EFI software. It is very impressive but I think the MS3EXP has more to offer at this time.

Thanks for your input.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Also, does anyone know if I can download the software for the BS3 so I can look it over like Holley and MS lets you do?
Old 02-17-2011, 06:07 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,089 Likes on 717 Posts

My vote is Holley Dominator EFI. It controls 4L60E/4L80E, has 30 input/outputs, comes with a wide band sensor, is probably the best bang for the buck and Holley has strong customer service set up for the units.

If you look around the units are probably around $2100 which is a pretty good price including the trans controller and the inputs.

Carshopinc.com is a sponsor on here and also an active dealer, could try Tim: sales@carshopinc.com.

I had a BS3 before and it's a nice setup but I think with all the extra stuff it's another $1K.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

I do like what I see in the Holley but it is limited and at this time it does not have the boost control and nitrous control working yet. I am sure they will have those bugs worked out by the time I get my beast back on the rode. They told me they expect to have those controls finalized in two to three months. If I can get the LSX kit for $2100 then the deal is done, I will be ordering the Holley kit. But Holley told me it would be about 3grand, and they were supposed to send me an email quote, and its been a week, no word from them.

I can not believe we only have two votes.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

108 reads, 2 votes, and two people comunicating. WOW! I guess those of use wanting to or presently running aftermarket PCMs are far and few between.

Come on people, put in your two cents!!!!
Old 02-26-2011, 06:26 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can only speak for the Accel DFI stuff.... if you're not on a super tight deadline I think their new Gen 8 kit would be a great system for you. The transition and driveability type tables, as well as the nitrous and PWM features are second to none! I use an AEM wideband for closed loop that works well, easy one wire hook-up.

No plug n play for you LSx guys, but at your level not much is PnP anyways The Gen 7 kits can be found for <$1000 brand new on ebay, with a build it yourself wiring harness. I got mine used with a 95% PnP accel built harness, and msd ignition box for 700 dollars in the classifieds on here.

Obviously it wasn't on your list, but I strongly believe the DFI should get alot more attention than it does. Then again I'm a nitrous guy, but some input is better than none
Old 02-26-2011, 08:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks I did not consider the Accel. Vote other please.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in the same boat you are. I really like the Holley, but I'm pretty pissed they are advertising boost control if it doesn't work yet. Here's an article I just found from December.

I'm thinking of picking up a Holley Dominator EFI ecu. It will run about $2k with the harnesses required. Anybody have any experience with them? Since it does boost control, nitrous control, meth control, 4L80E control, and low impedance injectors, it's going to save me money in the long run. It also data logs. I can run two widebands and eight EGT probes, along with a myriad of other inputs. It also has some sort of self learning to the ecu.

http://www.holley.com/types/Dominator_EFI_-_ECU.asp
Old 02-26-2011, 08:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ever consider AEM? We do alot of 4 cylinder turbo cars on it, it meets all your criteria I'm fairly certain. Alot of tuners are experienced with it and they have a nice support forum.

*EDIT* I dont know about controlling a transmission though, just reread your post.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What aftermarket ECU and why?